[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Time for a new 'puter

Jimmy Neutron

I'm in the market for a new desktop for the home office.

I've always liked Dell, but am open to other suggestions after building a system on their site today. They don't seem to be the bargain they once were.

I am tempted to get Vista - I haven't heard of any stability issues, just minor annoyances about peripheral compatibility and the goofy "allow/disallow" feature. Anybody like Vista, or should I stick with XP?

I don't want anything too fancy. I'm thinking 2.8 Ghz processor and 2 GB RAM. I am going to go with a 19-20" digital flat panel or LCD. I'm keeping my existing speakers, printer & web-cam. I sepec'd a Dell today with these features + MS Office Home Office/Student edition @ $1250.

TIA

I've always adhered to this maxim when buying computers. Set yourself a budget, then buy the absolute max machine you can find for that price. No matter how badass the machine is it will be obsolete by the time it gets to your door. Software will only get more bloated and take more horsepower to run. You can always buy wells and whistles to add to it later, try not to get anything integrated into the motherboard. It becomes easier to upgrade and extend the life of this box by doing it this way.

What all of this means is that if you are even remotely intelligent and can work a screwdriver, you should build it yourself.

If you have a choice, I'd stick with XP Pro versus Vista. Does Vista have anything that you want versus XP? I've not seen anything that would make me wish to change, even if it were for free. Let the early adopters work out the bugs in Vista for the next couple of years, then get it with your next computer.