[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

surge suppressor

Cameltosis

OK, so I have a new big screen, Yamaha receiver, DVR, DVD player, PS2, and a CD player connected to an old surge suppressor. I would like to protect the investments with the storm season approaching and I feel the old surge suppressor may be spent. I see several out there, some offering noise protection. The price ranges on these things go from $20 to $150+. I dont mind spending extra to protect the money I have in the system, but no need to throw money away either.

What is everyone using? Does the noise protection help, or is this a gimmick?

OK, so I have a new big screen, Yamaha receiver, DVR, DVD player, PS2, and a CD player connected to an old surge suppressor. I would like to protect the investments with the storm season approaching and I feel the old surge suppressor may be spent. I see several out there, some offering noise protection. The price ranges on these things go from $20 to $150+. I dont mind spending extra to protect the money I have in the system, but no need to throw money away either.

What is everyone using? Does the noise protection help, or is this a gimmick?

You best bet is a power conditioner. This will run from $250 -$500. What most people don't realize is that while spikes are dangerous, you circuit breaker or surge supressor can handle them quite easily. What is more dangerous, especially to your speakers, is brown power or power that isless than 110v. What a power conditioner does is have a capacitor that stores power and provides a steady, clean 110v to your euipment. No spikes or drop outs.

You best bet is a power conditioner. This will run from $250 -$500. What most people don't realize is that while spikes are dangerous, you circuit breaker or surge supressor can handle them quite easily. What is more dangerous, especially to your speakers, is brown power or power that isless than 110v. What a power conditioner does is have a capacitor that stores power and provides a steady, clean 110v to your euipment. No spikes or drop outs.

Thanks Kid Cid. Do you use this in addition to a surge suppressor or does this cover that as well? What brands do you recommend? I see APC and Furman on a quick search.

Is this what you are talking about?

Thanks Kid Cid. Do you use this in addition to a surge suppressor or does this cover that as well? What brands do you recommend? I see APC and Furman on a quick search.

Is this what you are talking about?

You no longer need a gurge supressor and this unit will handle both. The unit in you link is designed for the travelling musician, not really for home use, but it could be put into service there as well. There are several companies that make these, I would check with the folks over at AVS Forum as to which one is currently recommended. Kind of like computers, what is hot this year may not be so hot next. I haven't looked at these for a while.

You no longer need a gurge supressor and this unit will handle both. The unit in you link is designed for the travelling musician, not really for home use, but it could be put into service there as well. There are several companies that make these, I would check with the folks over at AVS Forum as to which one is currently recommended. Kind of like computers, what is hot this year may not be so hot next. I haven't looked at these for a while.

Cool, thanks.