[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Speaking about State Farm...

cliaz

http://www.winknews.com/news/local/8611682.html

State Farm plans to drop thousands

By Lindsay Liepman, WINK News

Florida - More Floridians might be dropped by their insurance carrier. This time, it's the state's largest provider.

Homeowners tell WINK News they're getting frustrated.

Now, State Farm says it plans to not renew homeowner policies for 50 thousand of its customers.

Cape Coral Home owner Curtis Caldwell doesn't have any complaints about his insurance company, State Farm. "They've been good to us and I really like State Farm," said Caldwell. But next year, the insurance provider plans to drop 50 thousand homeowner policies near the coast and even inland.

The announcement came as a surprise to Caldwell. "I don't know what I'd do. I'd probably call around but I like State Farm and I hope I don't get that letter," he said.

His neighbor, Mark Fitzpatrick got the letter from his carrier, Allstate after Hurricane Charley. "We had a lot of damage. We lost a roof got that put back on, they never paid the whole amount," said Fitzpatrick. After that, he called around but only the state-backed Citizens Insurance would cover Fitzpatrick's home. He was not surprised by State Farm's decision. "From a business point of view it's profits. That's what they have to do. But from a citizen who is a member of the community, it's not fair," he said.

Archie Hatfield is taking a different approach. "Things are pretty simple. They've got a business to run. If they can't run it efficiently, I don't need them," said Hatfield. The Cape Coral retiree wasn't dropped by his insurance...he dropped them. "They've shown me they don't care about me. They don't care about the people so I just decided I'd drop them and see how it goes," said Hatfield.

He's saving the money he would have spent on insurance. "I've survived everything on my own for 63 years. I'll continue to survive everything on my own for 63 years," he said.

They're all hoping another hurricane won't test the system.

"This year it's been quiet and knock on wood, let's keep it that way," said Fitzpatrick.

State Farm will still be the state's largest private home insurer.