[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

my a/v receiver made a popping sound ...

montster

ok, so we just got a nice entertainment stand to house all my tv components, because my wife was sick of my rats' nest of wires behind the tv. it looks great, and it has plenty of ventilation in back, but my only concern was that i have a big onkyo a/v receiver that tends to get hot, and there's only about a half-inch of space between the top of the receiver (where the vents are) and the shelf above it. everything was fine for the past couple days, then i turned it on to watch sunday night footballl, and when i turned it on, there was a pop and some smoke, and it shut off. i waited a bit and turned it back on, and it comes on for a second and shuts off. i plan to take it to a shop, but just wondering if anyone has some ideas of what it might be. i don't know much about this stuff, and i know i haven't provided much in the way of description, but could it be just a blown fuse? the receiver (tx-sr503) is only a year old, so i'm really hoping it's not fried. thanks.

ok, so we just got a nice entertainment stand to house all my tv components, because my wife was sick of my rats' nest of wires behind the tv. it looks great, and it has plenty of ventilation in back, but my only concern was that i have a big onkyo a/v receiver that tends to get hot, and there's only about a half-inch of space between the top of the receiver (where the vents are) and the shelf above it. everything was fine for the past couple days, then i turned it on to watch sunday night footballl, and when i turned it on, there was a pop and some smoke, and it shut off. i waited a bit and turned it back on, and it comes on for a second and shuts off. i plan to take it to a shop, but just wondering if anyone has some ideas of what it might be. i don't know much about this stuff, and i know i haven't provided much in the way of description, but could it be just a blown fuse? the receiver (tx-sr503) is only a year old, so i'm really hoping it's not fried. thanks.

It's not a fuse and hopefully you have a warranty. Sounds like the power supply to me. I have all my home theater components out in the open, enclosures are the kiss of death.

It's not a fuse and hopefully you have a warranty. Sounds like the power supply to me. I have all my home theater components out in the open, enclosures are the kiss of death.

my wife was loving that we finally have "adult furniture" (our old tv stand was a cheap POS from target), so getting rid of the new stand isn't an option (plus i like it, too). the unit was refurbished, so it has a limited one-year warranty -- too bad i got it 14 months ago. i'll probably take it to one of the local home theater places to see if they can give me an idea of whether i need to fix it/replace it. ugh.

Something may have cooked, but check that you just don't have shorted out speaker connections. If the wires or connectors are touching each other, you can do this to an amp. Unplug all you speakers and them plug them back in taking care that they aren't touching. You can use a wide rubber band as an insulator between them in a pinch.

Oh and Ursa is correct. Enclosures have a high WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) but they are not good for the system in general. You should seriously consider some type of rack or dedicated equipment stand for ventilation purposes. You've spent goodness knows how much money on this equipment, let's not fry it just to make the room pretty.

Edited by Kid Cid

Something may have cooked, but check that you just don't have shorted out speaker connections. If the wires or connectors are touching each other, you can do this to an amp. Unplug all you speakers and them plug them back in taking care that they aren't touching. You can use a wide rubber band as an insulator between them in a pinch.

Oh and Ursa is correct. Enclosures have a high WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) but they are not good for the system in general. You should seriously consider some type of rack or dedicated equipment stand for ventilation purposes. You've spent goodness knows how much money on this equipment, let's not fry it just to make the room pretty.

i unplugged the receiver and disconnected all the speakers, then plugged it back in, but all it does is turn on and immediately shut itself off. i'm thinking that's not too good.

i unplugged the receiver and disconnected all the speakers, then plugged it back in, but all it does is turn on and immediately shut itself off. i'm thinking that's not too good.

Nope, at this point take it to a service center. Something else you may wnat to consider since you seem inclined to keep the enclosure, get a fan to move the air around the receiver. Even a small clip on one from Radio Shack would be good.

Nope, at this point take it to a service center. Something else you may wnat to consider since you seem inclined to keep the enclosure, get a fan to move the air around the receiver. Even a small clip on one from Radio Shack would be good.

thanks. i'm definitely addressing the heat issue, either with a fan or by removing the shelf inside the stand, giving it a lot more open space above it. i'm afraid, though, that the cost of the repairs will be so much that i'd be better off replacing it. the receiver only cost $200.

Ok, so at what point does it make sense to not pay to repair it? $50? $100? For less than $300 you can replace it with something comparable and new like the tx-sr505.

lol, you picked out almost the same one i was thinking of as a replacement. i'm going on the assumption that it'll be $100-$150 or more to fix it, in which case i'll just get a replacement. i was actually looking at this one (i have $40 off coupon). but i figure i should at least take it in to ask -- if it ends up being a case where they charge me $50 or more just to look at it, then yeah, i'll just get a new one.

We were blowing up DVRs like they were going out of fashion until I told my wife we should take the glass door off the TV center. No more equipment failures since.

A good solution regardless if you replace or not, is one of those laptop cooling pads. Plug it into a switched outlet so it comes on when the receiver comes on. They're thin and it should work fine. Just a thought.

i took it to a service shop, but they said they didn't service onkyo. regardless, the guy said it could be a capacitor, it could be a power supply, but i'd likely be looking at $100 or more to fix it, which wouldn't be worth it. i looked around and i could probably replace it for cheaper than i bought it (meaning under $200). i found a panasonic receiver that many have said runs cooler than onkyo, and is about 2 inches thinner. so maybe i'll go that route.

i took it to a service shop, but they said they didn't service onkyo. regardless, the guy said it could be a capacitor, it could be a power supply, but i'd likely be looking at $100 or more to fix it, which wouldn't be worth it. i looked around and i could probably replace it for cheaper than i bought it (meaning under $200). i found a panasonic receiver that many have said runs cooler than onkyo, and is about 2 inches thinner. so maybe i'll go that route.

A lot of people like that Panny in the price range and for the space savings. As always, see if you can find a place that will let you audition it in your home for a couple of days.