[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sometimes Lady Luck is on your side

Grits and Shins

I played in my local ths weekend. We start with a 1-2 NL tournament, blinds going up every 15 minutes paying out the top 3. 9 player tournament. I lose half my stack on the first hand when my small pocket pair doesn't stand up. Then it seemed like I could do no wrong the rest of the tournament.

Later in the evening the short stack is to my left (coincidently enough the guy that took half my stack in the first hand). The last several hands he gone all in ... appears to me like an effort to buy the blinds and build up his stack a bit (and got them uncontested). About the 4th time in a row he goes all in I pick up wired 4's. Now normally I would not call an all in with wired 4's because you are asking to give your chips away when you do. But I feel like this guy is pushing ... so I call (and I have him covered). He turns up A-K. The pocket 4's stand up and I bust him out.

Laster I have J-9 suited, the chip leader is well out in front, then there are 4 of us with very similiar stacks and then there are another 3 short stacks. One of the short stacks has stolen the blinds several times in a row much like the other guy I busted out and my cards have been cold for a bit. I limp in from middle position, no raise. Flop is 9-3-5 rainbow. One of the short stacks (the guy mentioned above) goes all in .... I call. He has K-9 and I am obviously dominated. Turn is a 7. River is a Jack. He busts out.

Another two players bust out when a middle stack takes on the big stack. Big stack moves all in pre-flop... and gets called. Big stack has A-K ... his caller has pocket Jacks. Pocket jacks stand up and now there are 3 of us at the table with about the same stack and 2 smaller stacks. THE VERY NEXT HAND the guy that was the big stack goes all in ... I look down and have A-K. Our stacks are about even. I figure he is on tilt ... I call. HE TURNS UP A-K. I hit the flush on the river to bust him out. So he went from dominant chip leader in one hand to out of the tournament 2 hands later.

I end up heads up with the guy took the first half of the big stack's money. I had a small chip lead over him. We chopped the kitty to move to the cash game (there were 7 guys standing around waiting for us to finish). The cash game is 2-4 Limit. I normally do well in the cash game but just didn't get many cards (apparently I used them all up in the tournament) ... I still managed to win $23 in the cash game despite poor cards.

I had a lucky night.

I'd rather be lucky than good. Had a similiar tourney last weekend with some engineers from Boeing. They are freakin' geniuses! But easy to read, lol. I got pocket deuces and make it 4X the BB. SB goes all-in but he's been BS all game and I got him him well covered. So I call. Athenate, he had queens. Deuce hits on river.

Yeah, I end up winning the tourney and $300.

I'd rather be lucky than good. Had a similiar tourney last weekend with some engineers from Boeing. They are freakin' geniuses! But easy to read, lol. I got pocket deuces and make it 4X the BB. SB goes all-in but he's been BS all game and I got him him well covered. So I call. Athenate, he had queens. Deuce hits on river.

Yeah, I end up winning the tourney and $300.

I won quite a few of my chips from the local river chaser. If I had any hand at all I would bet ... he would follow. If on the river he leads off with a bet OR if I bet and he raises ... then I fold because he hit his hand. If he didn't hit his hand he folds.