[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Greatest Generation (musically, that is)

SheikYerbuti

It's pretty friggin depressing reading the "Staying Power" thread about the lack of quality, lasting music released this century. It got me thinking about the 6 year period between 1964 and 1969. Do you think there was ever a more impressive stretch of albums released than this??

1964 -

The Beatles - With the Beatles

Bob Dylan - The Times They Are A Changin

The Rolling Stones - Rolling Stones

The Beatles - Meet the Beatles!

The Kinks - The Kinks

The Beach Boys - All Summer Long

The Beatles - Beatles for Sale

Simon and Garfunkel - Wednesday Morning 3 AM

1965 -

Rolling Stones - Out of Our Heads

The Beatles - Help!

Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited

The Who - My Generation

Rolling Stones - Now!

The Beatles - Rubber Soul

1966 -

Rolling Stones - Aftermath

Bob Dylan - Blonde on Blonde

Cream - Fresh Cream

The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

The Beatles - Revolver

Buffalo Springfield - Buffalo Springfield

Simon and Garfunkel - Sounds of Silence

The Mamas and the Papas - If You Can Believe Your Eyes and Ears

1967 -

The Doors - The Doors

The Grateful Dead - The Greatful Dead

Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow

The Beatles - Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band

The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground and Nico

Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced?

Cream - Disraeli Gears

Moody Blues - Days of Future Passed

Pink Floyd - Piper at the Gates of Dawn

The Rolling Stones - Their Satanic Majesties Request

1968 -

Van Morrison - Astral Weeks

The Beatles - White Album

Rolling Stones - Beggars Banquet

Simon and Garfunkel - Bookends

Jimi Hendrix - Electric Ladyland

Jimi Hendrix - Axis: Bold As Love

Johnny Cash - At Folsom Prison

The Doors - Waiting for the Sun

Cream - Wheels of Fire

1969-

The Beatles - Abbey Road

Crosby, Stills and Nash - Crosby, Stills and Nash

Neil Young - Everybody Knows This is Nowhere

CCR - Bayou Country

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin I & II

King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King

Frank Zappa - Hot Rats

Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed

The Stooges - The Stooges

The Who - Tommy

And I've left out a TON. . .

wow.

yes, now it's even more depressing. you could probably keep going well into the 90s up through groups like u2, green day, radiohead, etc. something seems to have happened (the internet?) in the late 90s that just stops things and marginalizes the impact of new bands. of course, i could be in the middle of a music revolution and not be aware of all the good stuff out there, which is what i was trying to find out in the staying power thread.

so from cbsnews showbuzz, here are the top 10 rock albums of 2007 ...

1. "In Rainbows," Radiohead: The much-ballyhooed online release of "In Rainbows" in some ways obscured what an excellent album it is. The opener, "15 Step," begins with a cold electronic beat that sounds like recently typical Radiohead or Thom Yorke's 2006 solo album. But 41 seconds in, Johnny Greenwood enters with a beautiful, languorous guitar line. From then on, the band gradually lets the melody take over, particularly on songs like the midnight ballad "Nude" and the soulful show-stopper "Reckoner." With Radiohead, you're always on guard for the crash, the shattering of brightness - but on "In Rainbows," they let the light linger.

2. "We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank," Modest Mouse: There is so much to gather from this sprawling, schizophrenic album. You have former Smiths guitarist Johnny Marr suddenly in the band. You have a group completely ignoring the thrust of fame that came from its 2004 hit, "Float On." And you have Modest Mouse's persistent, ever-growling excellence. On this, the band's best disc since 1997's "Lonesome Crowded West," the rollicking id that is Isaac Brock surfs through nautical themes, carbon stealing and little motels - and it all adds up to a fascinating mess.

3. "Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga," Spoon: Fans of this Austin, Texas-based band have been waiting for Britt Daniel and company to make the album they always had in them. Well, this is it. After several exceptional but imperfect discs, "Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga" is a tightly honed collection of ten tracks, including both their trademark sparse arrangements ("The Ghost of You Lingers") and robust, hi-fi rockers ("The Underdog"). On the melancholic "Finer Feelings," Daniel looks for love in the pages of Memphis newspaper The Commercial Appeal - surely a more metaphorically-named paper than USA Today.

4. "Person Pitch," Panda Bear: This album sounds like the future. Working alone on his computer, Noah Lennox (whose stage name is Panda Bear) builds loops and layers of psychedelia around his ethereal, sun-drenched melodies. Anything you might call "fractured Beach Boys" isn't for everyone, but Lennox's nearly indescribable music - particularly the transcendent "Bros" - feels like a landmark achievement. (His home band, Animal Collective, also released a great album in 2007: "Strawberry Jam.")

5. "The Reminder," Feist: Ubiquitous iPod commercials were the only thing that detracted from this gorgeous, lilting album. The intimate production makes you feel like Feist is playing just for you; she fittingly sings: "Teenage hopes are alive at your door." For Feist, that means joy and optimism, not spray paint and flaming bags of feces.

6. "Sky Blue Sky," Wilco: The latest from Jeff Tweedy's Chicago outfit is an unusually normal album - a kind of conservative rebellion against the band's earlier experimentalism, most notably found on their classic "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot." Instead, these are wistful, straightforward songs, enlivened by Nels Cline's expert guitar work. Not every album has to change the world.

7. "Under the Blacklight," Rilo Kiley: When Jenny Lewis released a solo album in 2006, many wondered if her band Rilo Kiley was done, no longer necessary for Lewis's considerable songwriting talents. It takes less than a minute of "Blacklight" - when Blake Sennett lays down the most ticklish guitar lick of the year - to remember the importance of the band. They play straight man to Lewis while she flirtatiously coos songs of tawdry sex and broken relationships. Fleetwood Mac fans, there is another.

8. "Back to Black," Amy Winehouse: If you've been distracted by Amy Winehouse's perpetual tabloid troubles, go back and listen to the last track on "Back to Black," "You Know I'm No Good," to remember why everyone knows she's plenty good.

9. "Hissing Fauna, Are You the Destroyer?" Of Montreal: You, too, might be hesitant to embrace makeup-heavy glam bands or album titles that address plantlife skeptically. Kevin Barnes' Athens, Ga.-based band used to be more of a giddy, melodic psychedelic group, but on "Hissing Fauna" Barnes' breakup is fuel for a wild, unpredictable ride and a search for a lover with "soul power." The band that began as part of the Elephant 6 collective has never made a better record. And it's funky, too - especially the closer: "We Were Born the Mutants Again with Leafling." Yes, that's right. Leafling.

10. "Friend and Foe," Menomena: On their third disc, the Portland, Ore. indie band Menomena has created one of the year's most percussive albums. They seem to sense that now is their time: the album opens with Brent Knopf singing that he's got to "pick up my hustle." Menomena verges from hand-clapping, piano sing-alongs to songs built on electronic loops, but inventive, varied rhythms are always the foundation. Menomena might also be the best baritone sax rock group since Morphine, which is kind of a cool club.

Honorable Mentions:

"Sound of Silver," LCD Soundsystem; "Magic," Bruce Springsteen; "Woke on a Whaleheart," Bill Callahan; "Wincing the Night Away," The Shins; "Our Love to Admire," Interpol; "Some Loud Thunder," Clap Your Hands Say Yeah; "New Wave," Against Me!; "West," Lucinda Williams; "Let's Stay Friends," Les Savy Fav.

thoughts here?

yes, now it's even more depressing. you could probably keep going well into the 90s up through groups like u2, green day, radiohead, etc. something seems to have happened (the internet?) in the late 90s that just stops things and marginalizes the impact of new bands. of course, i could be in the middle of a music revolution and not be aware of all the good stuff out there, which is what i was trying to find out in the staying power thread.

thoughts here?

Yes, why the frack is Springsteen in the honorable mention section. He hasn't done anything musically relevant since he broke up the E Street Band.

Edited by Kid Cid

thoughts here?

The Radiohead is the only one I've heard, and naturally I think it's a strong album. Desperate for new good music I will spy on the other 9. However, I recently checked out "Boxer" by The National after it won several Best of 2007 awards. . .I was underwhelmed, which makes me pessimistic.

i will throw the late-50s, early-60s generation of jazz records out there. the year 1959 in particular was absolutely stunning.

miles davis - kind of blue

john coltrane - giant steps

ornette coleman - the shape of jazz to come

charles mingus - ah um, mingus dynasty, blues & roots

thelonious monk at town hall

dave brubeck - time out

miles davis and gil evans - porgy and bess

the first 4 of those would be on most jazz snobs' top 10 albums of all time lists. 'time out' and 'kind of blue' have probably sold the most copies of any jazz albums. all of those listed were tremendously important historically. it is amazing to think those were all recorded the same year.

Edited by Azazello1313