[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Braves Acquire Russ Ortiz for Damian Moss

PatrickL

Another lefty gone from Atlanta, but this time, my honest opinion is, this is a good deal. Moss walks more guys than anyone in the league, while he had a good rookie year, he's only 1 year younger than ortiz and ortiz was the giants #1 starter. I like this deal! w00t GO BRAVES!

Ya maybe age-wise they're close but in innings pitched Ortiz has alot more miles on his arm. Moss had a few ups-and-downs last season, esp. when he got a blister, but when he's on, he's as tough a young left-hander as there is in baseball. Don't discount 20-year-old Manuel Mateo who from scouting reports has a very live arm and is likened to a young Pedro Martinez.

I think damian moss is a pretty good pitcher, I think having glavine around last year was a big benefit for him. He has insane control problems sometime though and as a result has huge pitch counts. His stuff is solid though, he doesn't throw hard, but like his mentor, glavine, he doesn't really have to if he's hitting his spots. I also think Mateo will be a major leaguer oneday, the Braves seemed pretty high on him from all i've heard. I'm still pretty stoked about getting the veteran ortiz though.

I was reading the local Bay Area article about the trade and they asked Moss about the high walk totals and he said he never felt comfortable pitching in the Braves style of pitching or with the "Tom Glavine-thing". He said he was always a pitcher who liked to challenge on the inside part of the plate and found himself nibbling too much and that he looked forward to a different philosophy like the one that SF Pitching Coach Dave Righetti has where you challenge hitters inside to set up the outside. He said that's the way he had always pitched before.