[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Satellite Internet

Big F'n Dave

Anyone here have any experience with satellite ISPs? My parents have Hughesnet (formerly Direcway) and it sucks balls. Trying to find if there might be a better option for them.

Anyone here have any experience with satellite ISPs? My parents have Hughesnet (formerly Direcway) and it sucks balls. Trying to find if there might be a better option for them.

I deal with those guys a lot on my job. Apparently, a lot of small business chains have contracts with them... they are expensive, the latency is ridiculous, and their policies on capping your bandwidth are Orwellian (I may be using that word wrong).

Hughes is the major player with their big satellite network.

Do a search for VSAT on google, but only if it's their only viable option.

i just got verizon wireless... man its not like cable speed but its 40 and month and way faster than dial up...

At my office I have the Sprint Air Card. I'm near a tower and my signal is excellent. My dl speeds are 1300 and my upload is 600. It was just as fast as my dsl. Sprint is truly unlimited. Verizon has a 5GB cap. Check and see if they are in Sprint's EDVO territory.

Yeah, can they get cell reception? Those AirCards routers from Verizon or Sprint aren't terrible if you can get more than a bar or two.

Not an option. They live so far out that they have to drive to get to the boonies.