[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Where oh where is redwings.cup now?

Lerxst

Funny how this guy is everywhere for days, but when the Blues kick the crap out of his beloved Red Wings, he is nowhere to be found. His immortal Red Wings didn't look so great tonight, did they? Hey, are Brendan Shanahan, Sergei Federov and Luc Robataille playing in this series?

What is even funnier is that redwings.cup called Johnson a crappy goalie the other day. Meanwhile, his boy Hasek gave up 5 goals on 16 shots tonight and has given up 4 goals or more in Detroit's 9 playoff games this year. Meanwhile, Johnson has yet to give up 4 goals in ANY playoff game this year.

Yeah, I am shooting my mouth off a bit and it is only 1 victory, but given all the crap redwing.cup has said, I think I am allowed a little boasting tonight. After all, 6-1 is not just a win. It is an a$$-kicking! His beloved Red Wings have not been that great this series and, despite leading 2 games to 1, they have been outscored, outshot and outhit in this series. Time for Scotty Bowman to work his magic.

Guest Azazello13

only one game, but an impressive showing by the blues. forget about the 6 goals, they were just superb defensively and that's what could get them back into this series.

Azazello13:

forget about the 6 goals

I wouldn't forget about them. We all know Roy's ability to put a bad game behind him, how do you think this will affect Roy? Maybe getting shelled will hurt Hasek and give the Blues the confidence they need.

Also, I still think the longer this series goes, the better for the Blues, as the Wings may tire.

here i am. apparently unlike some of you (lerxst?) , i dont' spend my life in front of the keyboard and live on the West Coast. My oberservations? the wings held in there nicely for a period and then the better-prepared Blues just wore them out. I never thought the series would be a sweep, but certainly hoped it would. Blues outplayed the Wings in all facets of the game, but it's just one game. YOur smack crap is expected and, in a perverse fashion, appreciated. The Blues' 6-1 victory was their second home triumph against the Wings in their past eight playoff meetings there. The series still favors the "up 2-1 Wings" . Hull's untimely penalty giving the Blues the 5-3 for ~1.5 minutes was the Big Mo changer. All in all, Wings got their asses kicked, and sometimes a blind acorn finds a squirrel (or is that vice versa?) wink

An excellent game by St. Louis, but it wasn't the ass kicking the score made it out to be. Hasek was bad tonight and I'll have to admit I'm a little worried about him. I'm starting to think that he was so brilliant in Buffalo because he knew he had to be. I don't know how many times I've heard him say how much different it is with the Wings and how if he lets in a goal or two the Wings can come back and still win. I'm worried about his focus. I think he'll bounce back in game 4 but if he doesn't start playing with a do or die mentality the Wings might not make it past the Blues even.

c'mon man. don't lose the faith. Hasek played very well, even awesomely,in the first two blues games. this guy is a big time goalie. he'll be back. don't worry about him. worry about why shanny and federov are being neutralized by the Blue's forechecking and D corps. I think Bowman ought to take the leash off Sergie and let him fly around the ice a bit more in game #4. Shanny, Federov, Captain line ????

redwings.cup:

c'mon man. don't lose the faith. Hasek played very well, even awesomely,in the first two blues games. this guy is a big time goalie.  he'll be back. don't worry about him.  worry about why shanny and federov are being neutralized by the Blue's forechecking and D corps. I think Bowman ought to take the leash off Sergie and let him fly around the ice a bit more in game #4.  Shanny, Federov, Captain line ????

I haven't lost faith, I'm just noticing a trend with Hasek. I still think we have as good to better chance than anyone to win the cup. Shanny has been cold since the start of the playoffs he should get it into gear soon. Federov while not on the score sheet as much hasn't been playing badly he's just doing things that don't get noticed at the end of the game.

Guest Azazello13
Foosball God:

An excellent game by St. Louis, but it wasn't the ass kicking the score made it out to be. 

i dunno. the wings didn't generate much of anything on offense. it REALLY surprised me to see the blues shut them down that effectively. game 4 will be interesting...and if the blues win that one, game 5 will be VERY interesting.

Azazello13:

Foosball God:

An excellent game by St. Louis, but it wasn't the ass kicking the score made it out to be. 

i dunno. the wings didn't generate much of anything on offense. it REALLY surprised me to see the blues shut them down that effectively. game 4 will be interesting...and if the blues win that one, game 5 will be VERY interesting.Actually, the Wings offense hasn't done much in all 3 games. The 2nd goal is the first game was a shorthanded goal in which Johnson saved Hull's shot and the rebound went right to Hull and he had an open net. The first goal in the 2nd game was because of a misplay by Johnson. Detroit is not scoring those goals where they crash the net and knock in rebounds or score off deflections like we are used to seeing them do and it is silly to assume they are suddenly going to bust out. When so many players are in a funk(like Federov, Shanahan, Robataille), the likelihood of them all busting out of it is unlikely. Likewise, Young, Weight and Stillman have been quiet for the Blues and I would be suprised if they started producing all of a sudden. Plus, in past years, whenever Detroit has been on a roll, you see guys like McCarty, Maltby, Draper and Holstrom chipping in with the occasional clutch goal and that is not happening either. Simply put, Johnson and the Blues defense have shut down the Wings offense and this series hinges on Hasek and whether or not the Blues can score enough goals on him to come back and win the series.

Red Wings fans have to be worried about Hasek's inconsistency. He has allowed 4 goals or more in 4 of 9 Detroit playoff games and this is not Vancouver's average defense that the Wings are playing against, to where the Wings offense can bail out the play of Hasek. If Hasek continues to be this inconsistent, I do not see Detroit in the finals. Even if they get past the Blues, the Sharks or Avs stand an excellent shot at beating Detroit if Hasek continues to play like this.

I think too that this game showed how overrated the stat "shots on goal" is. In game 1, I believe the Blues outshot Detroit by a slim margin, but Detroit had the better of the play. Last night, the Blues totally outplayed Detroit, but were outshot 28-18. Scoring chances is always a much better indication of how the game was played.

Lerxst:

Actually, the Wings offense hasn't done much in all 3 games. The 2nd goal is the first game was a shorthanded goal in which Johnson saved Hull's shot and the rebound went right to Hull and he had an open net. The first goal in the 2nd game was because of a misplay by Johnson. Detroit is not scoring those goals where they crash the net and knock in rebounds or score off deflections like we are used to seeing them do and it is silly to assume they are suddenly going to bust out. When so many players are in a funk(like Federov, Shanahan, Robataille), the likelihood of them all busting out of it is unlikely. Likewise, Young, Weight and Stillman have been quiet for the Blues and I would be suprised if they started producing all of a sudden. Plus, in past years, whenever Detroit has been on a roll, you see guys like McCarty, Maltby, Draper and Holstrom chipping in with the occasional clutch goal and that is not happening either. Simply put, Johnson and the Blues defense have shut down the Wings offense and this series hinges on Hasek and whether or not the Blues can score enough goals on him to come back and win the series.

One good game and St. Louis has totally shut down the Wings offense?? Just because the scores aren't 6-4 or 5-2 doesn't mean that the Detroit offense has been shut down.

Also, while Federov hasn't been on the goal scorer's sheet doesn't mean he hasn't been playing well. He's doing the things that don't always appear on the the stats sheet.

Guest Azazello13

IMO, the blues' defensive play has gotten better each game in the series. it was good in games 1 and 2, but it was REALLY good in game 3. the wings were having a hard time getting a sniff even on the power play.

btw, chris pronger and rob blake are EASILY the two best defensemen in the game right now. lidstrom is great, but he's not the physical presence blake and pronger are. those two guys just make huge plays all over the ice. i would honestly rather start with either one of them on my team come playoff time than ANY forward out there (except for maybe peter forsberg :D ).

Azazello13:

btw, chris pronger and rob blake are EASILY the two best defensemen in the game right now.  lidstrom is great, but he's not the physical presence blake and pronger are.  those two guys just make huge plays all over the ice.  i would honestly rather start with either one of them on my team come playoff time than ANY forward out there (except for maybe peter forsberg :D ).

Of course I have to disagree. No one is denying that Blake and Pronger are great, but to put Lidstrom a notch below them is insulting. Lidstrom is probably on his way to his second straight Norris and is generally reguarded by all the analyists as the top defensman in the game.

Foosball God:

Lidstrom is probably on his way to his second straight Norris and is generally reguarded by all the analyists as the top defensman in the game.

I must disagree with that. Lidstrom is NOT generally regarded by all the analyists as the top defenseman in the game. Lidstrom, Blake and Pronger all get their props and are the 3 most mentioned defenseman. You can make a case for all 3 of them. Personally, I think Pronger and Lidstrom are the 2 best. Blake is a good scorer and physical presence, but he is not that great defensively and often will put himself out of position to make a hit.

Guest Azazello13

lidstrom is probably the best passer and maybe even the best shooter of the three, but he isn't the presence in his own zone the other two are. blake and pronger can dominate in all three zones and i just don't think you can say that about lidstrom. don't get me wrong, i actually LOVE everything about lidstrom and his game (despite the team he plays for), i just think he's one little notch below blake and pronger when you're talking about the ability to dominate playoff hockey.

Azazello13:

lidstrom is probably the best passer and maybe even the best shooter of the three, but he isn't the presence in his own zone the other two are.  blake and pronger can dominate in all three zones and i just don't think you can say that about lidstrom.  don't get me wrong, i actually LOVE everything about lidstrom and his game (despite the team he plays for), i just think he's one little notch below blake and pronger when you're talking about the ability to dominate playoff hockey.

See I look at it a different way. Lidstrom gets the job done, excellently I might add, at both ends of the ice and barely ever gets called for a penalty as evidenced by his 4th Lady Bing nomination. So in essence he does all the defensive and offensive that Pronger and Blake do except the bone crunching check and the occasional dumb penalty for going after the bone crunching check when they shouldn't.

Guest Azazello13
Foosball God:

See I look at it a different way.  Lidstrom gets the job done, excellently I might add, at both ends of the ice and barely ever gets called for a penalty as evidenced by his 4th Lady Bing nomination.  So in essence he does all the defensive and offensive that Pronger and Blake do except the bone crunching check and the occasional dumb penalty for going after the bone crunching check when they shouldn't.

well, look at all the best defensive defensemen in the game, now and in the past...and you'll be hard-pressed not to notice that ALL of them were capable of bringing a major physical element to their game. this is not a coincidence. i really admire the fact that lidstrom can be a finalist for both the norris and the byng, but all things considered i'd rather have a guy like blake or pronger, especially in a 7-game playoff series. and i think most hockey GMs would agree.

redwings.cup:

see that fork over there?  the one shaped like a bright red winged wheel.  well... take that fork and shove it up the poop deck of the blues cuz thier goalie IS crappy and they're cooked.  over the hill i hear the faint sound of a fat lady singing.

You know, you strike me as being a level-headed fan who knows what he is talking about most of the time, but why you insist on calling Johnson a crappy goalie is beyone me. He is an up and coming goalie who is still hitting a speed bump or two, but he looks to be a keeper.

thanks for the back handed compliment. i should like Johnson as he is the progeny of the great Wing, Sid Abel. ACtually, I don't have anything against him and do respect the blues. i call him a crappy goalie cuz it really gets under your skin. you make him sound like he is the next coming of Jacques Plante or Tony O!