[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

This week's highlights.

detlef

Wednesday I went to a Peter Wygant Imports tasting and have to say that I'm about as impressed with his portfolio as anyone out there. The prices are also quite fair which says a lot considering that they're nearly all European.

After the tasting, I had to literally go back through my sheet and rethink what I needed because by the end of the tasting, I had like 30 cases written down. Here's the highlights:

Of all the producers, the one that stood out was Markowitsch, an Austrian producer that particularly excels at reds. Mind you, his Gruener was great, but his reds were hands down some of the best Austrian reds I've had. That is, quite frankly, not a segment that I've ever been all that excited about but his were freaking great.

Blaufrankish Spitzerberg 2006 was clean and tasty with pinot noir like qualities and great balance (~$15 retail)

The Rubin Carnuntum (100% Zweigelt) tasted like a dead ringer for Chambolle Musigny. Ripe, sexy, and firm ($18)

His St. Laurent was just a more baller version of the same (with the price to go with it). Really good stuff

If you're looking for something new or have ever been curious about Austrian reds, this guy is great place to start.

Perhaps the overall wine of the show was Domaine Bertagna "Les Croix Blanche" Bourgogne Cotes de Nuits 2005. (~$25) This is a curious thing because it is only Bourgogne but it's single vineyard. Why? Because it's Southeast of the Rue Nationale so it is not in any specific village. Thing is, it's the only vineyard on that side of the road that actually has a higher elevation than the road. This is the sort of thing you're looking for in Burgundy. The wine from the place that the law says can only be X but is really every bit as cool as the "fancier" stuff. Honestly, it was remarkable and tasted like it could cost easily twice if not three times the price. Also, everyone at the tasting was on the same boat. If you like Pinot, you need to find this wine.

Along the same lines of "cooler than it should be" is the Domaine des Grands Bois "Cuvee Gabrielle" Cotes du Rhone Villages 2005 (~$15). Put this baby in a blind tasting with some good Chateau Neufs and it will certainly hold it's own. Firm, ripe and balanced.

Domaine les Aphilanthes Cuvee du Cros 2005 (~$23) 100% syrah cuvee is about as big as any Rhone wine you'll find and will certainly reward those prepared to age it a bit.

Yann Chave has taken over for his father Bernard and is, quite frankly, much better. His 2006 Crozes Hermitage Le Rouvre was expressive and rich and the best wine I've ever had from this house. At about $30, it's not cheap but every bit as good as any Crozes you'll find and likely as good as plenty of Hermitage.

If you don't like Beaujolais, it's likely because you've never tried anything from Domaine Vissoux. Both his Pierrre Chermette and Vielles Vignes 2007s were examples of how delicious this wine can be. With good inexpensive pinots being harder and harder to find, these (both about $15) are great alternatives.

Other wines not from the tasting that stand out for me this week are as follows:

Demoor Bourgogne Blanc. I've now had 3 of his wines in the last few weeks and am really impressed. His Chablis, tasted last week were great and this was about as good a White Burgundy I've had for less than $20 wholesale.

Chat Ste Michelle Horse Heaven Chard. Wow, did this wine suck ass. It got like 91 pts from the Spectator and tasted like nothing but butter. No fruit, no acid, just a ton of oak and butter. And I'm not one of those guys who only likes Chablis.