[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NCA&T Football player dies of heat illness...

:D

Is football pretty much the only sport where kids die because of heat exhaustion? Do coaches push their players too hard at the beginning of the season to get them ready?

I started on a state championship team my sophomore year of HS, and remember two-a-days like it were yesterday. We knew that we were gonna be the shyt because we made it to the regional championship game the year before and had everyone returning. We were constantly pushed to the limit and went by a strict schedule of workouts, running, and practicing. Growing up in Kansas, the temperature around mid July thru September can be the hottest. Sometimes getting above 100 degrees. Practicing twice a day in that kind of heat was brutal, but at the same time we were taking water breaks every 15 minutes, and sometimes practicing in the air conditioned gym with sneakers on, to keep away from that type of heat. That being said, my coach was smart and there were never instances of anyone collapsing or fainting due to the heat. Our preparation that year helped us because we had a lot more in the tank than all of our competition probably as a direct result of our 3 times a week hard conditioning.

Are coaches working their athletes too hard? This is just something I don't know how I feel about. Nine months of off season, with the occasional workout, and more freedoms than if it were the regular season...then two weeks to a month of intense workouts to get your body back in shape for the regular season....

:wacko:

Are coaches working their athletes too hard? This is just something I don't know how I feel about. Nine months of off season, with the occasional workout, and more freedoms than if it were the regular season...then two weeks to a month of intense workouts to get your body back in shape for the regular season....

This seems like something that's become more frequent over the past 7-8 years or so... Or is it just me? If not, could it be linked to the junk in the common high schooler/college kids diet? We're pumping our bodies full of chems, refined carbs, and preservatives... High Fructose Corn syrup has been linked to cancer, so I wonder if these things could weigh in on this...

Off season at my HS meant running/conditioning two times a week and lifting three times a week... Only summer time to fall out of shape, the majority of the guys stayed in decent shape...

Growing up in Texas and living around football... Watching my cousins play every Friday to playing a few years before I screwed my back up, but always following it... I never heard of anyone around our area dying from heat illness... Two-a-days in Denton were always in the 100's... We practiced on artificial turf which made it 20 or so degrees hotter, and it didn't have that impact...

As far as coaches pushing players too hard, I'm not sure. There are a lot of people watching, and practices are usually structured a lot better to avoid these things from happening...