[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

speaking again of citations I am

polksalet

How does one properly cite a citation? Once again I am working in a field with little data and the textbook quote which seems most appropriate is a citation itself.

"How do I cite “The resolution of a data set defines the smallest object or feature which is included or is discernible in the data” (Goodchild , 1991, p.113)" when the citation is published in a book by Joao p. 3?

Fwiw it is worth this is the book. http://www.amazon.com/Consequences-General...523&sr=11-1

just going with something more standard

“The resolution of a data set defines the smallest object or feature which is included or is discernible in the data” (Goodchild , 1991, p.113) (João, p. 3)

according to the MLA:

When a writer's or speaker's quoted words appear in a source written by someone else, begin the citation with the abbreviation "qtd. in."

so in your case, the in-text citation would be:

According to Goodchild, “The resolution of a data set defines the smallest object or feature which is included or is discernible in the data" (qtd. in Joao 3).

your citation in the work cited list would be:

Joao, Elsa. Causes And Consequences Of Map Generalization (Research Monographs in Geographic Information Systems). London: Taylor & Francis, Ltd. 1998.

of course if this is an online book, you would add the date you accessed it, followed by the URL. again, this is for MLA formatting, not Chicago or APA styles.

hope that helps.

according to the MLA:

When a writer's or speaker's quoted words appear in a source written by someone else, begin the citation with the abbreviation "qtd. in."

so in your case, the in-text citation would be:

According to Goodchild, “The resolution of a data set defines the smallest object or feature which is included or is discernible in the data" (qtd. in Joao 3).

your citation in the work cited list would be:

Joao, Elsa. Causes And Consequences Of Map Generalization (Research Monographs in Geographic Information Systems). London: Taylor & Francis, Ltd. 1998.

of course if this is an online book, you would add the date you accessed it, followed by the URL. again, this is for MLA formatting, not Chicago or APA styles.

hope that helps.

Thanks, I have no idea what type of citations we are supposed to be using. I have written 11 papers this semester and recevied grades on none of them. I will feel better when they start grading some of our work.