[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What part of a team's Defense most effects the Tight End?

jdn4891

Will a tight end be more successful against a team with a strong pass D, or a Strong Rush D?

Looking at The Huddle's team position ranks for Defense I'd say there's a correlation between a storng pass D (to WRs) and more chance of TE success. Disregarding some things like teams who just can't defend anything (Detroit, Atlanta, San Diego), or teams that are so poor against one thing that teams never bother to do much else (KC, Miami), I'm going to look at these guys who are all at the bottom end of defending the TE:

Philly. 7th against RBs, 6th against the pass. 30th against TEs

Oakland. 27th v RBs, 9th v WRs and 27th v TEs

Green Bay. 22nd v RBs, 7th v WRs and 26th v TEs

Tennessee. 11th v RBs, 2nd v WRs, 24th v TEs

Carolina. 8th v RBs, 4th v WRs and 22nd v TEs

and also at these guys who are between 12th and 16th in defending the TE:

Houston. 25th v RBs, 8th v WRs and 16th v TEs

Indy. 28th v RBs, 1st v WRs and 15th v TEs

Baltimore. 1st v RBs, 4th v WRs and 14th v TEs.

Pittsburgh. 3rd v RBs, 3rd v WRs and 12th v TEs

All these teams are top 10 passing Ds and yet struggle (to some extent in some cases and a lot in others) to defend the TE. Some of them have great run Ds, some of them have pretty poor ones, curiously none are really middling in that regard.

So I'd say a good passing Defense (at least against WRs) makes it more likely TEs will be successful. A good, or a bad rushing D seems to make little difference.

http://www.thehuddle.com/stats/2008/tpr.php

Forgot to post the link. This and the positional matchup pages are a couple of the most useful pages I've found here.

The most interesting thing is looking at it and realising that seeing the passing game split down to WRs and TEs that although there's certain teams all your O players normally hit the bench for, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Tennessee maybe, Indy (cos they're do good against the pass) your TE might still be a very viable play.

Edited by TaffKiwi