[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

End of Season Rule Change?!

trezmal

Apparently this issue never came up during the season:

Only D/ST get points for their side of the ball, i.e., starting wideouts/runningbacks who field kickoffs/punts do not get points if they score. HOWEVER, the scoring was apparently set to penalize them. E.G. week 13 - Addai fumbles a punt return and gets docked 2 points.

The guy affected (also the commish) ended up losing game by a point - taking him out of playoff berth. Commish then polls league for vote on changing rule to not penalize starters if they muff on ST play. If commish won game, would have been in playoff berth.

In principle, I agree if starters dont get offense bonus on ST play, neither should they be penalized. But if Commish gets the switch - it will move him up and bump out another person who would have been in playoffs.

Thoughts?

If you don't get rewarded for ST points then you shouldn't be deducted.

+1 you cant have your cake and eat it too. If you dont get rewarded points for a D/ST TD or yardage, even if that said player is a starter, then you cant get points deducted for a fumble for that said player. Its pretty much cut and dry.

Give the 2 points back to addai

Edited by RJV

I actually only even agree to this rule in principle provided that whatever web site you all use to track the scoring automatically recognizes the difference between a player fumbling on a punt return and a normal offensive play. To be honest though, I doubt it. MFL has got a dizzying array of scoring options but I'd even be surprised to find that one there. Otherwise, every owner is going to have to comb through the play by play of every game their players are in to see when the fumble occurred. In general, I don't like rules that reward OCD.

Now, to be completely honest, I think that you should simply reward offensive starters with TDs scored on kick returns rather than solve the problem in the manner you're suggesting. The primary objective for any football team is to cross the opponent's goal line. Whomever manages to do that should be rewarded regardless of whether or not it's on a return or play from scrimmage. Yes, I understand that means both the individual player and the D/ST will both get points, but so what? Even if the same guy owns both, good for him. It is certainly something that makes guys like Reggie Bush and WRs who have ST duties more valuable, and anything that makes these players more valuable relative to the QBs and everydown RBs makes your league more interesting.

More importantly, I would absolutely reject this late season change unless the commish is prepared to scour through each and every previous game to be sure that no other such fumbles occurred. Even then, I'd have an issue with it being called into play right now.

More importantly, I would absolutely reject this late season change unless the commish is prepared to scour through each and every previous game to be sure that no other such fumbles occurred. Even then, I'd have an issue with it being called into play right now.

Exactly. I'd be questioning if this is the right guy to have as your league commish over the long haul.

One question would be what the rule states for that league. Does it say offensive fumbles or defensive/st fumbles lost. But if the rules says any player that loses a fumble get minus points then he is out of luck. He could correct the problem for the rest of the year, but he can't go back afterwards. When I was a Commish years ago, there were times we had to change the scoring, but it was implemented the following week and wasn't retroactive. I did put it up for a vote and it was implemented.

But changing after the fact should not be done in my opinion. But changing for the future is fine