[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

For my buddy Randull

westvirginia

By Neal Boortz @ April 2, 2009 9:15 AM Permalink | Comments (15) | TrackBacks (0)Nancy Pelosi is really excited about passage of the Democrat budget today. But just in case you weren't aware .. the Republicans did put forth their own alternative to the budget. Though its too little, too late ... here are the details of the Republican alternative.

• To start with, the Republicans want spending in the economic stimulus package to be rescinded starting in 2010.

• They want a freeze on non-defense spending and a moratorium on earmarks for Congress.

• The Republicans want .. wait for this .. changes to the tax code! They want to allow taxpayers to choose how they can file their taxes - the current system or a more simple option: Individuals earning $50,000 or less, and couples earning $100,000 or less, would be taxed at 10%. Anyone making more than that would be taxed at 25%.

• Changes to Medicare: workers under 55 would enroll in private plans and receive premium subsidies equal to the average Medicare benefit when they retire. Benefits would not be changed for people in the program or people older than 55.

OK ... this is all very special. But the obvious question is "Where the hell were these ideas when you were in charge?" Sorry .. but the Republicans still have not done nearly enough to atone for the mess they created when they controlled every branch of government. Many of the problems we're facing today ... including the problem of a U.S. government now controlled by anti-capitalists ... can be laid at the failures of the Republican party over the past eight years.

As for their idea on taxes? Give me a break. We've tried that flat-tax idea before .. back in 1986. There were two flat tax rates back them, just as the Republicans are proposing now .. and the tax code has been modified nearly 10,000 times since then. The Republican alternative isn't making news .. but things would have been quite different if they had proposed something like the FairTax. If the Republicans want a piece of the news pie they are going to have to go bold. A repeat of the 1986 flat tax idea isn't bold.

Bring me to Washington to talk to the Republican caucus. I'll get them fired up.

Yeah ... like that's going to happen.

Expresses contempt for republicans bailing on their principles quite well, I believe.