[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Excel question

muck

I know there is a way to "view" a spreadsheet so that you can easily hide / expand columns and rows ... essentially grouping sections of the sheet together.

I've occasionally seen this when putting together detailed financial projections, and by clicking on a few "-" signs, the detail collapses down and all you see is summary information ... then, by clicking a few "+" signs, the detail re-expands out.

Any idea how to do this? I've never done it before and I have a spreadsheet that I need to put together that this would a PERFECT trial run for ... TIA! :wacko:

There are green "group/ungroup" arrows. Right click in an empty space of your toolbar and under the command tab click on data. add those two buttons to your toolbar and then highlight the rows you want to group and click on the group button. Make sure you add one extra column, ie. if you have 12 months and then a total, include the total in the group so when it collapses, then total still shows.

My finance dept produces all the monthly dept expenditure reports using subtotals function. Very handy.

...I don't know the subtotals function...feel free to WOW me...

I know there is a way to "view" a spreadsheet so that you can easily hide / expand columns and rows ... essentially grouping sections of the sheet together.

I've occasionally seen this when putting together detailed financial projections, and by clicking on a few "-" signs, the detail collapses down and all you see is summary information ... then, by clicking a few "+" signs, the detail re-expands out.

Any idea how to do this? I've never done it before and I have a spreadsheet that I need to put together that this would a PERFECT trial run for ... TIA! :wacko:

Shouldn't an accountant already know everything about Excel?

...I don't know the subtotals function...feel free to WOW me...

In Excel 2002, 2003 and XP the Subtotals function appears under Data on the menu bar.

Basically it takes a two or more column list and where one of the columns changes, it subtotals one of the other columns. It can be used for Count, Sum, AVG and other functions. On the left of the sheet, there then appear three columns, enabling the grand total, each subtotal or each line item to be hidden or shown. Column 2 shows all subtotals, and clicking the + sign next to the subtotaled item causes the line items within that subtotaled group to be seen.

Shouldn't an accountant already know everything about Excel?

Possibly...

Thank goodness I'm not an accountant. :wacko:

...no offense intended to my bean counting bretheren...

Since you've dissed me once already in this thread, I don't know why I bother. Maybe its my yearning to be accepted or maybe its just that Loaf hasn't posted any whorthwhile games in years, but anyways, unless you are trying to subtotal numbers, I think the group/ungroup functions are more of what you are looking for.

:xoxo:

Possibly...

Thank goodness I'm not an accountant. :wacko:

...no offense intended to my bean counting bretheren...

Damn... For some reason when I was in HOFFA, I thought you were...

My bad...

Since you've dissed me once already in this thread, I don't know why I bother. Maybe its my yearning to be accepted or maybe its just that Loaf hasn't posted any whorthwhile games in years, but anyways, unless you are trying to subtotal numbers, I think the group/ungroup functions are more of what you are looking for.

:xoxo:

You bother because you are an empathetic man. And, I admire that in you.

And, this is the only game posted here that I've ever kept a link to; I find it oddly addicting; I'm sure it's been posted a kajillion times before, but that's all I've got for you. Sorry. :wacko:

PS - Thanks.