[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Traded Coffee/Keller for Celek need a pickup

gman62

Ok guys I managed a trade in my trade stingy league and now have Celek instead of Keller which I think is an upgrade and I have no bye week to deal with my TE. Yeah I gave up Coffe but I have strength at RB and Gore should be returning next week (I hope). I have been playing without a kicker the past week and I managed to win my last game pretty handily, so I am considering staying with the strategy at least this week maybe further. Seems like when the bye weeks hit teams have trouble scoring as many points which plays well into my strategy as long as I am strong in my bench. So far so good. So I have an open roster spot I am looking to fill. I would like to fill with best available player unless someone can convince me I need a RB or WR more than the other. So my available players to chose from are:

RB:

LJohnson

MBush

LWhite

DWard

MMoore

JLewis

WR:

BBerrian **

DMason ** (waivers 10/10)

MClayton

KBritt

All are FA except DMason so I picked up BBerrian and currently have him set to drop for DMason if I can get him off waivers. I am 7th in a 10 team league. Team dropped BEdwards just prior to trade announcement. Another team dropped DMason for BEdwards off waivers. Now DMason is on waivers and I think he or Berrian are my best adds. Agree? Also do you like DMason moreso than BBerrian? I like Baltimore's offense and feel Mason will get more looks than Berrian as Favre has a lot of WR to distribute to and favors AP run attack. Agree?

Edited by gman62

Ok guys I managed a trade in my trade stingy league and now have Celek instead of Keller which I think is an upgrade and I have no bye week to deal with my TE. Yeah I gave up Coffe but I have strength at RB and Gore should be returning next week (I hope). I have been playing without a kicker the past week and I managed to win my last game pretty handily, so I am considering staying with the strategy at least this week maybe further. Seems like when the bye weeks hit teams have trouble scoring as many points which plays well into my strategy as long as I am strong in my bench. So far so good. So I have an open roster spot I am looking to fill. I would like to fill with best available player unless someone can convince me I need a RB or WR more than the other. So my available players to chose from are:

RB:

LJohnson

MBush

LWhite

DWard

MMoore

JLewis

WR:

BBerrian **

DMason ** (waivers 10/10)

MClayton

KBritt

All are FA except DMason so I picked up BBerrian and currently have him set to drop for DMason if I can get him off waivers. I am 7th in a 10 team league. Team dropped BEdwards just prior to trade announcement. Another team dropped DMason for BEdwards off waivers. Now DMason is on waivers and I think he or Berrian are my best adds. Agree? Also do you like DMason moreso than BBerrian? I like Baltimore's offense and feel Mason will get more looks than Berrian as Favre has a lot of WR to distribute to and favors AP run attack. Agree?

why wouldn't you start a kicker??? isn't the goal to score as many points as possible.

why wouldn't you start a kicker??? isn't the goal to score as many points as possible.

this

otherwise Mason but maybe sign a guy who you can actually insert in your line-up like...I don't know.... a kicker

The argument for no kicker is this. If I have a roster spot that can retain a potentially good player then during bye weeks or key matchups I would remain strong across the board. Since kickers score the fewest points they are the only position in which this could be justified. Am I making sense? If I drop 1 of my players he is sure to be gobbled up by another team and sit on his bench or be played.

It comes down to this: Is your weakest player worth keeping on your bench even if it means leaving the kicker spot open? I contend that at times it may. Using this strategy also allows you to insert the kicker at the last possible moment keeping a player unusable so that your opponent cannot pick him up and use against you.

In this circumstance, would you drop BBerrian or DMason for a kicker? Since I consider them my weakest player that would be the scenario. If the team I play could use a WR like Berrian or Mason but he is not available for pickup I have gained the difference between the points either of them would have scored and his weakest WR. If that value is greater than what a kicker would get then it benefits me to leave the kicker spot open.

This week isnt as clear cut as last week. My weakest expendable player last week was PGarcon or DBrown. Both have potential upside going forward. If I had let one of those go for a few measly points a kicker gets I would have lost their potential for the rest of the year as they would have been picked up.

It is a week to week decision and who your playing is also key. I probably cannot justify it after the bye weeks and certainly wouldnt do it in the playoffs, but I think the strategy has merit at certain times.

Since these 2 guys are similar then I may not gain anything this week unless one has a much more favorable matchup than the other. You could argue that if I take 1 of these comparable guys my opponent can just pick up the other guy. So what do I gain? Well if I grab DMason on waivers who comes available tomorrow Berrian is unusable this week as he will be on waivers thru this weekend's games.

His team:

QB Schaub

WR DJackson

WR MMassaquoi

RB RRice

RB DWilliams

TE JCarlson

W/R FJackson

K JNedney

D SF

Bench: RWhite ARodgers DDriver FJones SRice TChoice

Edited by gman62

Actually no the goal is to outscore your opponent so as to put a W in your column. It's kinda like a team purposely taking a safety rather than punting (and risking a fumble or a blocked punt) in order to run off time on the clock at the end of the game. They are giving up points but securing their win.

Another example would be when a team purposely runs the ball to absorb time on the clock to keep the other team from getting their hands on the ball. If the goal was to score the most points they would be throwing the ball.

Edited by gman62

yea all the things you mentioned as examples were things where you are actually making a defensive move to win a game....in fantasy football the only real way of playing defense is scoring more points. Who cares about saving your best reserve when you coudl be adding another 6-13 points to your teams score on a given week. Seriously.

Not sure if you read this part: Using this strategy also allows you to insert the kicker at the last possible moment keeping a player unusable so that your opponent cannot pick him up and use against you.

The key is limiting your opponent to a potential good matchup player and if the score looks close I can always add a kicker before the 3pm games or before the Sunday night game or possibly before the Monday night game. My point is there isnt much difference in points scored by kickers week to week and there is always ample number in the free agent pool. So why not absorb a player on the bench to prevent your opponent from using him? This is what I call a defensive strategy in fantasy football.