[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Golfing in Cancun

Thews40

Ok, so I got married last week and you guys pretty much convinced me by your responses to my cruise question that I should go to Cancun instead of a curise. I figured if I was going to spend $$ on drinks, I'd rather book an all inclusive and just party my ass off on the beach (I only drink beer, but I can drink a lot of it). I booked a four night stay the "Royal" resort (5 stars) for just over $2100 (includes air fare) in Dec. It also includes green fees (we both golf) and it's an adult only resport, so it looks like fun. I have some questions for those that have been on these cheap vacations:

1) Have you golfed in Cancun? If so, can you get tee times while there, or do you have to book in advance? How expensive is it?

2) Has anyone stayed at the Royal? I've read you can upgrade the room when you get there.. has anyone done this?

3) Do they really bombard you when you get off the plane? I've read they dress like officials and try and sell you timeshares... is this true? If so, can you just blow them off?

4) Has anyone done the swim with the dolphins thing?

5) What would site would you reccomed seeing?

6) Anything else?

I really appreciate the advice ...thanks in advance.

Have a great honeymoon.

Have been to Cancun 3 times over the past 20 years, most recently 2 years ago. Not an expert, but...

1. Yes, golfed on a business trip about 10 years ago. I remember the course being nice, but way overpriced. If you can get the tee times in advance, your probably much better off. You can always try to change them, if necessary, when you get down there. Hopefully, the greens fees include clubs, because the airlines are charging a lot extra to bring your own.

2. Never stayed there, and don't know much about it. Check out tripadvisor.com.

3. Yes, you will be bombarded very heavily. Make arrangements with Royal to pick you up, or head straight outside for a cab. Set the fare before you get in... figure anywhere from $15 to $25 American $$. They say no, go on to the next one.

4. Never did it, but I know people who did and raved about it. Expensive, but if it's a one-time experience, then go for it.

5. A lot of water activities through AquaWorld. The best snorkeling of my life was on the day trip to Isla Mujeres. There was also a jet ski trip through the lagoon and ocean snorkeling. I enjoyed it. Wife did not. Should give you a clue there. The ruins are an interesting experience, and I'm glad we made that day-trip.

6. Stay in the tourist areas on the island due to so much unrest in the urban areas. Downtown has some markets where you can haggle for some bargains, but it's a $40 cab ride and it wasn't a great location. Almost anything off-resort can be haggled, so don't be shy about asking for a better price. If you eat off-resort, always ask if the water is okay. Most places are upfront about their filtration, of if you would be better off drinking bottled water.

Hope that helps.

Have a great honeymoon.

Have been to Cancun 3 times over the past 20 years, most recently 2 years ago. Not an expert, but...

1. Yes, golfed on a business trip about 10 years ago. I remember the course being nice, but way overpriced. If you can get the tee times in advance, your probably much better off. You can always try to change them, if necessary, when you get down there. Hopefully, the greens fees include clubs, because the airlines are charging a lot extra to bring your own.

2. Never stayed there, and don't know much about it. Check out tripadvisor.com.

3. Yes, you will be bombarded very heavily. Make arrangements with Royal to pick you up, or head straight outside for a cab. Set the fare before you get in... figure anywhere from $15 to $25 American $$. They say no, go on to the next one.

4. Never did it, but I know people who did and raved about it. Expensive, but if it's a one-time experience, then go for it.

5. A lot of water activities through AquaWorld. The best snorkeling of my life was on the day trip to Isla Mujeres. There was also a jet ski trip through the lagoon and ocean snorkeling. I enjoyed it. Wife did not. Should give you a clue there. The ruins are an interesting experience, and I'm glad we made that day-trip.

6. Stay in the tourist areas on the island due to so much unrest in the urban areas. Downtown has some markets where you can haggle for some bargains, but it's a $40 cab ride and it wasn't a great location. Almost anything off-resort can be haggled, so don't be shy about asking for a better price. If you eat off-resort, always ask if the water is okay. Most places are upfront about their filtration, of if you would be better off drinking bottled water.

Hope that helps.

Thanks. The Royal perk is free green fees, but I'm sure it's not that simple. Appreciate the tips... from what I've read the worst part is getting from the plane to the cab.

• 1 month later...

Trip report… it was a blast. Just under $2200 (using a 60% off special) for air fare, free green fees, 4 nights in a room facing the ocean and all drinks and meals free; I really couldn’t have asked for more.

Booked it through Bookit.com : http://www.bookit.com/travel_guide-m0gtc-C..._in_Cancun.html There were deals that saved 10 or 20%, but the deal which upgraded the room was awesome. The pool has a swim-up bar and all you can drink, and since it was adults only I’m sure the urine content in the water wasn’t too bad. The restaurants included in the all inclusive were first rate. Sushi, steaks, Mexican… it was amazing.

Played golf (free green fees and $70 for the cart) at the Pok-Ta-Pok golf club http://www.cancungolfclub.com/welcome.html. Before we teed off the Marshal pulls me aside and says some of the fairways have spots on them, and then says, “You can play by Mexican rules” and kicks an imaginary ball with his leg… pretty funny. The course is surrounded by the ocean, but it’s not in very good shape on the front 9. The fairways were sort of torn up in spots, but my wife and I aren’t that good so it was perfect. Also a lot of big sand traps, but the sand is more like hard dirt so it’s easy to get out of them. We played on a Friday and there was no one in back of us, and with a six-pack of Corona from the cart girl costing a whopping 240 Pesos ($18), it kinda sucked there were only two bathrooms. We only played once, but could have played every day if we wanted. Instead of renting clubs, I bought two golf airline bags off of ebay for $79 each http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2008-OGIO-MONSTER-...=item2c524b7949 These Ogio bags retail over $200 and were awesome. If you buy them in the berry color they're $40 less, and since the color is just a stripe on the side it's no big deal. They only count as one bag being checked, and with the clubs weighing about 35 pounds, left 15 pounds worth of cloths/shoes/whatever. Since the club rental was $50, they paid for themselves and we can use them again to just go golf and pack a weekend’s worth of stuff along with it.

Two NFL games on while we were there (Thursday night and Saturday night) and we walked across the street and watched them in the local bars while they played a lot of 80's and 90's pop music. Very safe and taxis everywhere.

Looking to spark your marriage life up? I highly recommend going through Bookit and finding at least a 60% off deal in an all-inclusive resort. http://www.bookit.com/travel-ideas/all-inclusive/

Edited by Thews40