[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Matt Schaub or Alex Smith

Matt Schaub is coming off a poor fantasy performance against Buffalo. Schaub completed 24 out of 34 for 268 yards and two interceptions and no touchdowns. The competition had a lot to do with that as the Buffalo Bills are currently the 11th best team against the pass. This week Schaub goes against the 7th best team against the pass, the Indianapolis Colts in Indianapolis.

Alex Smith goes against the absolute worst team in the league against the pass, the Tennessee Titans.

There's no comparison about who is the better QB with the best weapons. It's Matt Schuab, hands down. However, he's got a tough match-up in a hostile environment. Should I play the percentages and go with Smith? Or should I stick with my stud?

Edited by electricrelish

Matt Schaub is coming off a poor performance against Buffalo. Schaub completed 24 out of 34 for 268 yards and two interceptions and no touchdowns. The competition had a lot to do with that as the Buffalo Bills are currently the 11th best team against the pass. This week Schaub goes against the 7th best team against the pass, the Indianapolis Colts in Indianapolis.

Alex Smith goes against the absolute worst team in the league against the pass, the Tennessee Titans.

There's no comparison about who is the better QB with the best weapons. It's Matt Schuab, hands down. However, he's got a tough match-up in a hostile environment. Should I play the percentages and go with Smith? Or should I stick with my stud?

We're vouching for Alex Smith at NFLSoup.com, while suggesting a Sit for Matt Schaub in Week Nine.

It's hard to go against Schaub, but he's struggled against solid pass defenses (Oakland and Buffalo), and Indianapolis is definitely a solid pass defense. Smith, on the other hand, did OK against Indy, and was on fire against this very Houston team. Now he gets a tasty match-up with the awful Titans secondary.

Normally I'd say go with the stud in Schaub, but he may not look so studly come Sunday. Run with Smith, and let the rest of your league laugh up until he torches Tennessee's secondary.

For more Fantasy Football advice and updates, go to www.nflsoup.com

We're vouching for Alex Smith at NFLSoup.com, while suggesting a Sit for Matt Schaub in Week Nine.

It's hard to go against Schaub, but he's struggled against solid pass defenses (Oakland and Buffalo), and Indianapolis is definitely a solid pass defense. Smith, on the other hand, did OK against Indy, and was on fire against this very Houston team. Now he gets a tasty match-up with the awful Titans secondary.

Normally I'd say go with the stud in Schaub, but he may not look so studly come Sunday. Run with Smith, and let the rest of your league laugh up until he torches Tennessee's secondary.

For more Fantasy Football advice and updates, go to www.nflsoup.com

So you take no consideration of Indy's offense, which could gash Houston's questionable D, and force Schaub to pass all afternoon. Yes Smith could do fine against Tennessee, but in that run-first offense, Gore could have a day, and Smith might not have to do much. Plus, none of this is to mention that Smith has struggled in the past, whereas Schaub has become a top point-scorer in virtually all leagues.

Nobody listen to this guy. He only joined today, and has done nothing but try to promote his own site. If you see a post from him, tell him to go back to his own site. This is not a promo board.

So you take no consideration of Indy's offense, which could gash Houston's questionable D, and force Schaub to pass all afternoon. Yes Smith could do fine against Tennessee, but in that run-first offense, Gore could have a day, and Smith might not have to do much. Plus, none of this is to mention that Smith has struggled in the past, whereas Schaub has become a top point-scorer in virtually all leagues.

Nobody listen to this guy. He only joined today, and has done nothing but try to promote his own site. If you see a post from him, tell him to go back to his own site. This is not a promo board.

True, I'm trying to promote my site, but you're not taking any time to think about this.

Schaub was bad last week against Buffalo. Nothing changes that. And he was bad against Oakland.

Oh my God! That's TWO bad games by the invincible Schaub!

Yes, I am aware that the Colts may turn it into a shootout and Schaub will have to pass. But that doesn't mean touchdowns, necessarily. And do you even pay attention to this Houston defense? They are not average at all. Since getting lit-up by MJD in Week 3, the Texans haven't allowed a 100-yard rusher. That's FIVE straight games, hot-shot.

That means Peyton Manning will be keyed-in on, and while I expect him to do just fine, there's no guarantee this is a 40-point free-for-all.

And on the other side, Schaub's opponent (Indy), SHUTS DOWN opposing quarterbacks and passing games, and that includes once they've gotten out to a big lead.

Check the stat line:

Week 1: David Garrard 14-28, 122 yds, 0 TD, 0 INT

Week 2: Chad Pennington 22-33, 188 yds 0 TD, 1 INT

Week 3: Kurt Warner 30-52, 332 yds, 1 TD, 2 INT

Week 4: Seneca Wallace 33-45, 257 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT

Week 5: Kerry Collins 19-32, 165 yds, 0 TD, 1 INT

Week 7: Marc Bulger 14-26, 140 yds, 0 TD, 2 INT

Week 8: Alex Smith 19-32, 198 yds, 1 TD 1 INT

Let's see, that's seven games with 3 TOTAL passing touchdowns allowed, and 7 interceptions caused.

True, only Warner falls under "elite" status, but what you're seeing here is a consistent defense that pressure the QB and take advantage of mistakes. Their run defense is only getting better with Bob Sanders back and healthy, as well, which aids their already extremely strong pass defense.

They have allowed ONE 300+ yard passing game, and it took Warner 52 attempts to get there.

How can you even begin to go all ho-hum and just ASSUME that Schaub will have an awesome game, simply because of his name?

You're being foolish, and you're doing it merely because you want to prove me wrong because you're annoyed with how I promoted my site.

Sue me for trying to get the name out there. That's fine. But don't go telling this guy to play Schaub when the FACTS are in Alex Smith's favor, save for one week.

You're being foolish, and you're doing it merely because you want to prove me wrong because you're annoyed with how I promoted my site.

Sue me for trying to get the name out there. That's fine. But don't go telling this guy to play Schaub when the FACTS are in Alex Smith's favor, save for one week

You're right, I am. I'm usually polite, but I think you're an ass for exploiting the popularity they have here to try to turn viewers to your own stuff. They've done way too much work here to have people like you turn it into a spam self-promotion board.

You actually make a good argument about Indy's D, but I was making that counterpoint that Indy's O should force them to throw, making him still a safe pick, when compared to a kid that's a question mark like Alex Smith in a run-first offense. You failed to mention those points.

I should have just given the best easy answer, like everyone else here:

At this point you dont sit Schaub for Alex Smith. You just dont.

Yup, start Schaub. It's not like Alex Smith is anything close to a sure thing.

Those are the more relevant points. Schaub is proven with more throwing weapons, and Alex Smith has struggled in the past and is far from proven. Even with a good matchup, you don't sit your stars for a guy who's largely unproven. And of course, the final point, which I included in my PM to you:

Advertisements, promotions, spamming, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations of any kind are not allowed on these forums. Any such messages will be removed at the discretion of either a forum moderator or administrator and it is very likely you will be banned.

As long as you abide by that rule, no one is going to ridicule you like I have.

so, wait, are you saying that these...

...numbers aren't awesome?

Wait, it must be that Smith's WRs are better than HOU's, right?

I like how Kevin ignored the fact that a key member of TEN's DEF was OUT for four weeks while they racked up some poor numbers.

I'm glad you "liked" that I don't see Cortland Finnegan as the "missing link" that suddenly makes Tennessee a good pass defense. I'm sorry, but he just isn't all that great. He's good, sure, but his presence isn't going to move mountains.

I never said Smith's numbers were awesome against Indy. In fact, if you actually read, I said the opposite. But he's not facing the Colts this week. Schaub is.

Besides, you talk big about Finnegan's absence, but what about the games that he DID play in?

Week 1: Ben Roethlisberger 33-43, 363 yds, 1 TD, 2 INT

Week 2: Matt Schaub 25-39, 357 yds, 4 TD, 0 INT

Week 3: Mark Sanchez 17-30, 171 yds, 2 TD, 1 INT

I love how the ONLY argument you guys have here supporting your blind Matt Schaub support is Cortland Finnegan, and the three games prior to week 8 that he played in, his team got torched for 350+ yards TWICE, and a total of 7 passing scores in just three games.

Yeah, because shutting down David Garrard and the Jaguars is hard these days. Just ask the Rams or the Seahawks.

What a joke.

Even when you think you're right, you're still wrong.

Look at the facts. Fantasy football is all about numbers and trends, and it bodes well for Smith this week, and not Schaub AT ALL.

The Titans play fairly well against the run, and before they started dropping games left and right, they actually were among the league's best. The 49ers will try to win with Gore, but Smith will take advantage with Vernon Davis and Michael Crabtree. It doesn't sound like much, but regardless of these extremely ill-advised opinions, it doesn't take much to dismantle Cortland Finnegan.

friggin Mark Sanchez schooled that team. know your football.

I'm glad you "liked" that I don't see Cortland Finnegan as the "missing link" that suddenly makes Tennessee a good pass defense. I'm sorry, but he just isn't all that great. He's good, sure, but his presence isn't going to move mountains.

I never said Smith's numbers were awesome against Indy. In fact, if you actually read, I said the opposite. But he's not facing the Colts this week. Schaub is.

Besides, you talk big about Finnegan's absence, but what about the games that he DID play in?

Week 1: Ben Roethlisberger 33-43, 363 yds, 1 TD, 2 INT

Week 2: Matt Schaub 25-39, 357 yds, 4 TD, 0 INT

Week 3: Mark Sanchez 17-30, 171 yds, 2 TD, 1 INT

I love how the ONLY argument you guys have here supporting your blind Matt Schaub support is Cortland Finnegan, and the three games prior to week 8 that he played in, his team got torched for 350+ yards TWICE, and a total of 7 passing scores in just three games.

Yeah, because shutting down David Garrard and the Jaguars is hard these days. Just ask the Rams or the Seahawks.

What a joke.

Even when you think you're right, you're still wrong.

Look at the facts. Fantasy football is all about numbers and trends, and it bodes well for Smith this week, and not Schaub AT ALL.

The Titans play fairly well against the run, and before they started dropping games left and right, they actually were among the league's best. The 49ers will try to win with Gore, but Smith will take advantage with Vernon Davis and Michael Crabtree. It doesn't sound like much, but regardless of these extremely ill-advised opinions, it doesn't take much to dismantle Cortland Finnegan.

friggin Mark Sanchez schooled that team. know your football.

Go away Richard Nixon! Noone at this GREAT site wants you here so just meander back to your little hole you crawled out of. Spammers are not welcome here promote your $hit elsewhere!! :wacko:

So according to the trends and numbers, you would have said that Houston's rush D was awful going into week 4, but as you've stated, the exact opposite has happened since then.

What does this mean? Some trends remain, and others change. As such, Tennessee's pass D could perform completely differently, especially with their best cornerback back against an easier passing opponent... But then again, you're right, it could be the same story again this week.

The point is, you stick with the guys who consistently perform, and good things will happen. If you just throw in any QB because he appears to have a good matchup, then you're going to get burned.

This is what we're disputing. You start your studs, unless you have another stud with a better matchup. Not your newest waiver-wire darling. Schaub is a top 10 or top 5 QB in most leagues. Those are the numbers I care about. His total numbers. When those numbers change, then maybe you can think about it. Schaub isn't going to underperform like that every week with those weapons.

FYI: 25 of 34 is a 73.5% completion percentage. Just sayin'.

Yes, I did take that into consideration, but his overall fantasy numbers were poor. He earned 7.42 points for me in a standard league with yardage pts. and in the Huddle Ladder he earned me 14.1 pts (which is OK).

Edited by electricrelish

I'm going to change my mind and say Smith. The reason is home field advantage. I don't know how loud INDY will get, but SF should have a much easier time for OL calls/protections. I'll lean to SF cuz of noise.

LOL... that guy got so mad, and we ended up agreeing with him. I mainly just made the counterpoints because he was an ass about everything, otherwise I would'nt have commented, because I confess, I haven't really kept up with those guys other than their overall production.

I still think Schaub is the safer play, because I can't see them just doing nothing against Indy. I think there's some weaknesses there waiting to be exposed on D too. But ya, I don't disagree that Smith could have the most upside this week (he's still a gamble to me though).

And on the other side, Schaub's opponent (Indy), SHUTS DOWN opposing quarterbacks and passing games, and that includes once they've gotten out to a big lead.

Check the stat line:

Week 1: David Garrard 14-28, 122 yds, 0 TD, 0 INT

Week 2: Chad Pennington 22-33, 188 yds 0 TD, 1 INT

Week 3: Kurt Warner 30-52, 332 yds, 1 TD, 2 INT

Week 4: Seneca Wallace 33-45, 257 yds, 1 TD, 0 INT

Week 5: Kerry Collins 19-32, 165 yds, 0 TD, 1 INT

Week 7: Marc Bulger 14-26, 140 yds, 0 TD, 2 INT

Let's see, that's seven games with 3 TOTAL passing touchdowns allowed, and 7 interceptions caused.

True, only Warner falls under "elite" status, but what you're seeing here is a consistent defense that pressure the QB and take advantage of mistakes. Their run defense is only getting better with Bob Sanders back and healthy, as well, which aids their already extremely strong pass defense.

They have allowed ONE 300+ yard passing game, and it took Warner 52 attempts to get there.

I think you make some pretty good detailed points here. Thanks for taking the time to provide your input. I appreciate it.

i seriously can't believe that there is even a question as to who to start.

unless you have jake delhomme you shouldn't start alex smith...at this point anyway. until smith does something i would not GAMBLE on him. and if you are starting alex smith after ONE good week it is a GAMBLE.

play it safe and go matt schaub.

+1 and :wacko:

I agree that Schaub's the safer play, but I checked our electricrelish's roster and cuz of guys like Westbrook being injured, relish is needing a win. I think the upside with SF seemingly forcing the ball to Crabtree that he'll get a lot of opportunities.

Yes, thanks for your input. This one is a tough call. Generally, I have found that you can't always count on match-ups, and many times you need to stick with quality players. For example, the first game that Ronnie Brown went up against the Jets, I benched him in one league where I had better match-ups and Ronnie Brown went off. On the filp side of the argument, in the second game, I played Brown, and he did squat.

This one is hard to gauge.

Matt Schaub Pros

1. If Alex Smith can throw 19-32, 198 yds, 1 TD 1 INT, then imagine what Matt Schuab will do with better weapons.

2. Leading Fantasty pts QB going into Week 9

3. Awesome weapons like Andre Johnson and Owen Daniels.

Matt Schaub Cons

1. Indy is the 7th best defense against the pass.

2. Schaub has performed poorly against good secondaries like the Raiders and the Bills

3. No Owen Daniels to throw to.

4. Indy is bad against the run, so Texans may run more than pass.

5. Indy home game

Alex Smith Pros

1. Titans are the 32nd worse team against the pass.

2. Titans are generally better against the run, so the 49ers may have no choice but to pass.

3. SF home game

Alex Smith Cons

1. Only one really good game this season - can't trust him yet.

2. Cortland Finnegan is back for the Titans.

3. David Garrard threw for 139 yards and 2 Ints against the Titans last week. What makes you think Alex Smith will do better?

Edited by electricrelish

A lot of you guys are idiots for saying this guy is spamming. He's simply stating his oppinion with pretty valid facts to back it up. He's adding value to the site. As long as he does that, what's wrong with getting something in return? U guys are some haters. You act like he's not saying anything of value and he's just putting his link on the site. If he were to do that, then that would be spamming. Anyway, I'm gonna put some serious thought into this Kevin. You make some really good points, plus Schaubb doesn't have his go to guy this week( owen daniels)

A lot of you guys are idiots for saying this guy is spamming. He's simply stating his oppinion with pretty valid facts to back it up. He's adding value to the site. As long as he does that, what's wrong with getting something in return? U guys are some haters. You act like he's not saying anything of value and he's just putting his link on the site. If he were to do that, then that would be spamming. Anyway, I'm gonna put some serious thought into this Kevin. You make some really good points, plus Schaubb doesn't have his go to guy this week( owen daniels)

Dude, he did the same thing in another topic (where he also gave horrible advice BTW). I understood it was an honest mistake, and was polite in telling him that this might be against the rules. He was pretty unapologetic, and in a PM conversation where I told him the rule, he told me "I can't wait to see what you have to say about my comments in Schaub/Smith".

I thought that was pretty rude, and when I read what he said, it only gave me more ammo to dispute him. If this was a non-pay, forum-only site, then i'd agree, but there's a simliar rule that keeps advice questions in here, for the same reason... you open a huge can of worms if you let people self-promote on your site.

He only took the time here because he wanted to prove me wrong. His advice here was obviously a regurgatation of something he already came up with, because he showed no interest in correctly answering some of the other questions in other topics. See here. He joined today and has done nothing but self-promote..

I'm sorry, but I don't like it.

but that's just it, they're not. Sure, the numbers to-date this year say so, but any team would perform less when their top CB is out. Look again at your Smith Cons #3. That was the first week back for their CB.

Of course, I'd put SF's obsessive desire to get Crabtree into the game as a big plus.

Choose the QB who'll be on TV :wacko:

After much deliberation, I just can't start Smith over Schaub. There's an argument for it, but it's just a little too clever.

First I want to say that this guy is definitely an entre-manure. Schaub according to Huddle info has not played Ind in quite a while, nor did he have Johnson and vice -versa in the Indy-Hous games played. I drank the kool-aid about sitting Schaub this season against Titans and lost that game. Start your Stud. I think Walters will step up!