[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

HUGE Rodgers/Peyton trade help for new player

brtdud7

I am a replacement owner. It's a 16 team league. Someone came to me (a Packers fan) wanting to trade Peyton Manning for Aaron Rodgers (+players).

PS. 16 teams is ridiculous... Much crazier than 12 team leagues

Here are our main offensive rosters:

ME:

AARON RODGERS QB

MICHAEL CRABTREE WR

TERRELL OWENS WR

THOMAS JONES RB

CEDRIC BENSON RB

Correll Buckhalter RB

DALLAS CLARK TE

HINES WARD WR

DERRICK MASON WR

TONY SCHEFFLER DEN TE

HIM:

PEYTON MANNING QB

BRADY QUINN QB

CHAD HENNE QB

RODDY WHITE WR

STEVE SMITH CAR WR

BRAYLON EDWARDS WR

ADRIAN PETERSON RB

BRANDON JACOBS RB

MICHAEL BUSH RB

JUSTIN FARGAS RB

ARIAN FOSTER RB

KELLEN WINSLOW TB TE

Now I know that Aaron is the #1 fantasy QB, but to me peyton isn't that far off and will likely be great for the next 4-5 years until he retires, while Rodgers has 10+ years.

We can also trade draft picks. I have the #10 pick, he has the #15.

Maybe I could try a package like:

Rodgers+Jones+Mason+Ward+my first rounder for Manning+White+AP?

It's just a preliminary trade that I haven't really thought about...

do any of you experienced players have any advice?

Edited by brtdud7

Were I you, I think I'd look elsewhere ... honestly, Rodgers is probably the only viable long-term "stud" that you have. While you have a nice prospect in Crabtree, and a solid TE in Clark (assuming he can continue to stay healthy, something that's been a bit of an issue for him until recently) all of the other top tier players you list from your roster are likely at or near the end of their high-end productivity ... TO, Ward, Mason, TJ ... how many "FF starter caliber" seasons do they have left in them? Benson could be a winner for you for several seasons, or he could slip back - one really strong season (with a very heavy workload) does not a career make.

I realize this is a 16 team league, so talent will be thinner than may otherwise be customary in FF, but I think you have 2 real choices with this team -- either find a way to get yourself a top end WR w/o losing Rodgers (trading away future picks is likely the only chance you have at that) in an effort to win something NOW, while your aging players have a strong season or two left in them -- or blow up the team and start from scratch, in a fire sale that gets you draft picks and/or young prospects & rids you of the Jones, Ward, Mason, Clark types while they still have value. I'm not sure that I see an "in-between" option, and I'm not sure that I'd want to peddle Rodgers (almost regardless of what you get in return) in other than a last resort or "too good to be true" deal that you simply can't turn down. Given that this is a 16 teamer, your current players seem reasonably solid other than at WR, so maybe looking at some "lesser than blockbuster" deals that can get you close right away is the way to go.

All of this likely does not really answer your specific "is this a good trade" question, but maybe it will get you thinking about possible alternatives & directions that you can pursue with the team you inherited.

Edited by ts

I think your asking for way too much. I think Peyton and Rodgers are close to a toss up in a dynasty league. Yeah, Rodgers is a lot younger but who knows whats gonna happen in 5 years. So you're offering up TJones who might have 1 more year as a starter somewhere, Mason who i'm pretty sure is gonna retire, and Hines ward who's on the tail end of his career, and a draft pick, for AP and Roddy White, a top 10 receiver :wacko: