[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Computer savvy huddlers, need some help

SeductiveNun

My internet on my laptop no longer is working, and I'm running out of ideas on how to fix it on my own.

It was working fine last Wednesday. I travelled on Thursday and the computer was in it's carrying case all day Thursday and Friday. I got to my in-laws cabin on Saturday and tried to get online with their ethernet connection and nothing. It looked like the connection was solid, but IE would not open up - kept getting the page cannot be loaded message. Another person up there was able to successfully get on with his computer - using firefox mozilla - so I'm thinking maybe it could be my ethernet port (I typically use wireless).

I get home Sunday and try to hook it up again. I have a connection with my wireless signal, but again IE isn't opening up anything - same error message. I did all the troubleshooting I could to see that maybe the connection could be the problem, but everything looked fine and there were no indications of connectivity issues when I ran the diagnostics. I then tried a system restore but my computer wouldn't allow it to be completed. I though maybe I didn't have enough free memory so I uninstalled a bunch of crap I haven't used in years (AOL, various games, Quickbooks) to free up space. After doing that I triied to do a system restore again and it wouldn't let me pick a restore point beyond when I started to uninstall programs.

I'm not the most gifted when trying to figure out problems with my computer, but I'm thinking the issue is with IE and not a connectivity issue. I'm just wondering if there's anything else I could possibly do at my end before I end up taking it in to someplace like Best Buy and see what they can do. :tup:

I've also tried backing into going online through my anti-virus program (Norton) or logging on through Windows Online help, and no go there as well. Thank goodness it's not nearing any draft dates for me yet. :wacko:

The first thing I would do is to turn off (read: uninstall) Norton. It is a POS and cause more problems than it fixes IMO. Then I would delete all history and cookies and try to connect. Also, make sure Windows Firewall is turned off. If you get a connection you can turn Windows Firewall back on and check if you still get a connection. My money is on Norton screwing the pooch here.