[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Polk, you don't want to read this.

Ursa Majoris

Desktop Linux is dead

Ultimately, Linux is doomed on the desktop because of a critical lack of content. And that lack of content owes its existence to two key factors: the fragmentation of the Linux platform, and the fierce ideology of the open-source community at large.

User expectations have shifted dramatically in the past few years, and it's no longer acceptable for any PC to fail at basic media viewing. DVD playback and video streaming from premium sites such as Netflix are now fundamental capabilities that any computer should have. But the politics of the open-source world make that a nearly hopeless dream for Linux.

:wacko: Step away from the edge, Polk.

• 3 weeks later...
Desktop Linux is dead

:wacko: Step away from the edge, Polk.

lol, funny stuff. I will admit that Linux isn't for everyone.While the article says some true things it also says some that aren't exactly truthful. I am a big time Netflix user.I do however watch it through my xbox. Sometimes I have to jump into Windows and that is no big deal. I can jump from Windows to Linux in a few seconds and to go back to Windows takes maybe a minute.For the bliss of superhigh computer speed and the total lack of malware it is a small tradeoff. And last I looked, there were around 3,100 free programs available for free and instant download for Ubuntu. They are all tested, stable, and malware free. For 99% of what I do Ubuntu works just fine.

You do know you can run most windows programs in this, right?