[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Car experts

BeeR

OK......car got this thing lately where once or twice it seems sluggish to start but does. Next time it won't, acts like a dead battery. First time it happened popped the hood and the positive terminal looked corroded. Girlfriend heard this trick of pouring club soda or even soda (!?) on it as a quick fix, and we were in the middle of nowhere so in desperation tried and it worked. np I figured I'll clean off the terminal and connector w/a wire brush/etc and problem solved. Wrong. After doing so it happened again (wasn't there). Oh PS battery is new. Went to where it was purchased and they ran a diag on their little battery diag thing and said battery is indeed fine, but looks like alternator problem (PS car has 88K and pretty old so although in great shape nothing faulty would surprise other than battery). But went to Advance Auto who ran a diag on all elect components with a more high-powered, better system checker (again wasn't there) and they said all looked fine. She asked about the cable itself connecting the battery and told them to check for loose connections etc but all looked fine. Starter was fine too, and I would've thought that wouldn't be it because my experience is when they go they go - ie it wouldn't not start then suddenly start due to the washed off corrosion thing. I'm no elec expert but I thought battery, alternator, starter and cables were about it for what could be wrong. What else might it be?

Thx for the replies. Turns out it was the starter after all. I thought when they went they went, but apparently they can get a "bad spot" on gear teeth they have and if you keep trying and can get it past that spot, it's fine. Apparently just coincedence re the soda thing we did, although I'm still skeptical. Still, car has started reliably numerous times since.