[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Israel and settlements in the West Bank

wiegie

This article sure makes it sound like the reason that the Israelies are building settlements in "palestinian territory" is not for Isreal's national defense but instead so that Isrealies can have cheaper housing:

http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/featu...mittee-1.323889

And are you not concerned that international pressure will stop all these plans?

"I can say not only what I think but what all the residents of the neighborhood think - it doesn't faze us. The demands of the world are hallucinatory. It's as if I were to say: Don't build in Washington. It doesn't concern us. I am repeating things that were said by those greater than I am. Ben-Gurion said it wasn't important what the Gentiles said. What was important was what the Jews did. We must build - and if they want to yell, let them. I am not trying to annoy or irritate people, but we have our own pride."

How much does an apartment cost in Har Homa?

"A three-room apartment costs NIS 1.2 million, like in the rest of Jerusalem. It used to be cheaper here but now we have closed the gaps.

"If it weren't for Homat Shmuel, many of the residents here would have moved to the periphery. As it is, Jerusalem has negative migration of 18,000 residents a year.

"I think the construction here should be something trivial, a necessity in this reality. I think the plans and the approval should be speeded up. We're in the middle of a real estate bubble. If you don't build more homes, you can't complain that apartment prices are going up. They have prevented people from building in Judea and Samaria, so let them allow us to live in Jerusalem."

Explain to me why the Israelies are the "good guys" here that deserve our unwaivering support?

This article sure makes it sound like the reason that the Israelies are building settlements in "palestinian territory" is not for Isreal's national defense but instead so that Isrealies can have cheaper housing:

Explain to me why the Israelies are the "good guys" here that deserve our unwaivering support?

We call that assimilation/desegregation here in Atlanta...

exactly...I've been saying this for awhile now, but people are saying we have to support them because they are our allies....that's like supporting a cousin who is addicted to smack and constantly pops pills all day....

I refuse..