[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What Huddler penned this?

Duchess Jack

Amazon Friday Night Lights (Season 2) Review

YES!!!! I've been vindicated by Friday Night Lights' second season!!!! Allow me to derisively clue you in: ever since last year when I authored my incomparably brilliant and much talked-about review for Friday Night Lights' first season, I was unscrupulously berated by clueless, diehard fans of this brutally mediocre Friday Night Lights series. See, my thesis of Friday Night Lights' first season was that the makers of the show didn't love their subject matter of people in a small, Texas town which obsessed about football at all! On the contrary, my thesis made the emotionally powerful argument that the makers of said series actually were hostilely bigoted, anti-Christian ideologues who gloatingly delighted in mocking red-state Southerners with all the most unflattering stereotypes!!!! After the airing of the second season, it can be doubted no more: I HAVE BEEN VINDICATED as the second season took the stereotype-mocking of the first season and made it even more harsh.

This review will single-mindedly focus on persuading especially YOU--that's right, YOU, the clueless, diehard fan of Friday Night Lights--that Friday Night Lights is a series which despises red-staters, conservatives, Christians and in general just southerners. This earth-shattering thesis of mine is based primarily on an examination of how the major characters of FNL are presented during the course of the season. If you're intellectually honest--and I KNOW just how impossibly hard it will be for YOU (diehard and stubbornly clueless, FNL fan) to admit fault in a product you slavishly love--you'll have to see things my way based on the evidence I'll present.

For starters, ALL of FNL's characters communicate in the most unflatteringly low-minded STEREOTYPE of the slack-jawed yokel!!!! Take supposed, star football player "Smash." His lines consist mostly of: "Momma, Momma...I jes wanna' play sum football, aight??!! And his morbidly obese mother replies in her stereotype-of-the-black-mother line: "Smash, mmmmmm...mmmmmmm...BOY! When youse gonna' git some sense in dat head o' yoooourrssee?!" Or, how about the ever bimbo-like Lyla Garrity? Her lines now (after her other stereotype fulfillment of becoming a born-again Christian) consist mostly of "Haaaalleeeeluuujaaaaahhh, Sweet Jesus! Prrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaise the Lord, uh-huh, A-maaayun!" Still, how about that womanizing, continually drunk-and-stoned and underachieving Riggins? Always, he's like, "Lyla...ya'll waaaanna sleep wit me ore whut, huh, geeerl?!!?"

Aside from these utterly slighting parodies of what are normally gracious, southern accents--if ANY minorities' accent was parodied the way FNL's Christian red-staters' were, the TV show wouldn't even get on the air!--the plot development of many of the main characters proceeds in such an unflattering way so as to demean these Christian, red-state characters further. In example, early on in Season 2, the resident doofus-character with the offensively slow, southern drawl (it's Landry I'm talking about!!) actually commits murder! His on-again, off-again, just-a-crush "girlfriend" (it's Tyra I'm talking about!!) actually connives with him to cover-up his murder by dumping the dead body in the river!!!! FNL's moral relativist-writers (flagrantly, all hardcore liberals due to their amoral explaining away of said situation) struggle to justify this by having Landry commit the murder to save Tyra from being raped. However, these Christian, southern Americans are portrayed in a disparagingly horrid manner when they start covering-up the murder. What's worse is that Landry's dad is a policeman, yet when his son confessed the murder to him, he helps in the cover-up by burning the vehicle in which the dead body was transported!!!! Besides this being a liberal smear campaign against a policeman, this character (Landry's dad) is also demeaned further as, while he's guiltily destroying the evidence, he's portrayed as hypnotically muttering, "Jeeeesuuus, JEEESSSUUUUUS!" That plot arch involving Landry, his dad, Tyra and the cover-up of murder was one of the worst character assassinations against Christians, red-staters and policemen ever!!!!

I wish I could stop easily citing all the gratuitous examples of liberal, anti-red state bias, but I'm only just getting revved up! Next up is the blistering character *ss*ssination on southern career-women and wives by the defamatory way Tami Taylor's pregnancy is mishandled by the characteristically agenda-driven writers. After Tami has her 2nd child, her character is degradingly portrayed as a woman who's getting depressed, regrets having her baby, and becoming estranged from her husband, Coach Taylor. Needless to say, this is undoubtedly an elitist, liberal-Hollywood attack on the typical, traditional, suburban family (a real one consisting of a dad, mom and kids, not a fake, Rosie O'Donnell type of "family!"). See, it's like this: by harmfully portraying Tami as withdrawing into depression after having her kid (happens in a MINORITY of cases, by the way), FNL's lib-writers are giving their hurtful opinion about what they think of normal, everyday, American families in the suburbs. They're charging that said families are really dysfunctional and incapable of raising their families properly!!!!

One of the more distressing slurs against red-state Christians occurs in the way Coach Taylor's daughter, Julie, is portrayed as a rebellious, wanna-be hoochie mama who'd make Lindsay Lohan look like a nun by comparison. Throughout the first portion of the season, Julie's relentlessly shown to get more estranged from her parents with whom she'd normally had a close relationship. She's unflatteringly portrayed to hang out with the proverbial "wrong crowd" which includes older boyfriends and poisonous substances like drugs and cigs! She also gets into worse and worse fights with her parents! Now, I ask you, What the hell???? This distinct, hoochie mama-like misconduct by the Julie character sounds way like something girls in blue-state, liberal inner-cities are up to more than girls from conservative, small towns!

The last straw that broke my proverbial Camel's back--and which also proves my thesis about FNL's lib-writers pushing liberal-agenda thoughts--is when the US healthcare system (AKA, the BEST in the world, bar none) is subtly assailed via the Jason Street character's paralysis. In the first few episodes of Season 2, cripple-Jason is shown longing to travel to that illegal immigrant-exporting hellhole (Mexico) for a hazardous, experimental surgery involving the false hope of stem-cells. See, he ignorantly believes said stem-cell surgery can cure him of paralysis...which means he was listening to the Democrats too long. Additionally, this story arch also endorses the liberal ideology of stem-cell research with the audacious criticism being that the US apparently is failing to do enough in that area--which is why Jason has to travel to illegal immigrant-exporting Mexico.

As I've perceptively opined in my award-winning review for FNL's first season, this whole series serves as NOTHING but a cynical and transparent plot to show southerners in the worst, possible light. Season 2 even ratchets up those unflattering, anti-red state stereotypes and makes them into a total parody of Christians. I was so offended after watching Season 2 that I felt like a victim because my own Christianity was derogated through the awful portrayals of the characters. In fact, I ought to lobby to get this show canceled, but because I'm not a minority and a Christian instead (and so won't be viewed as a victim by our PC society), I'll have no luck. Help other customers find the most helpful reviews