[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

McDonalds Oatmeal = More Junk Food

tazinib1

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/...-oatmeal-wrong/

We are addicted to additive laden crap.

So I'm running late to school one morning but I'm hungry. Zip thru the drivethru and think, "Let's try this oatmeal, how bad can OATMEAL be?"

It was FREAKIN' DELICIOUS!!! And then I looked at the ingredients label. Holy Snuggiee!

I've eaten my last bowl (actually more like 4 tablespoons) of McD's oatmeal. :wacko:

seems like moronic screed to me. couple comments make good points:

I really am sympathetic to your argument here, Mark, but hyperbole doesn't help things in the long run. Calling the product "oats, sugar, sweetened dried fruit, cream and 11 weird ingredients you would never keep in your kitchen" isn't quite accurate. Those "11 weird ingredients" include salt (a staple), modified food starch (a relative of cornstarch, another staple), and caramel color (a simple product of heated sugar). They do include chemical additives to the cream, but most commercially available cream at the grocery store has multiple additives to control its stability and texture, too.

Now compare those ingredients to a single Big Mac bun: "Enriched flour (bleached wheat flour, malted barley flour, niacin, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid, enzymes), water, high fructose corn syrup, sugar, soybean oil and/or partially hydrogenated soybean oil, contains 2% or less of the following: salt, calcium sulfate, calcium carbonate, wheat gluten, ammonium sulfate, ammonium chloride, dough conditioners (sodium stearoyl lactylate, datem, ascorbic acid, azodicarbonamide, mono- and diglycerides, ethoxylated monoglycerides, monocalcium phosphate, enzymes, guar gum, calcium peroxide, soy flour), calcium propionate and sodium propionate (preservatives), soy lecithin,

sesame seed."

Is homemade oatmeal healthier, cheaper, and (if you're at home) faster? Yes, of course. But as that long list of chemicals demonstrates, this oatmeal represents a major step forward for McDonald's. I'd rather thank them for moving in the right direction than chastise them for not being a homecooked meal.

I disagree, I like their oatmeal. Many times you find yourself at McD's with a group, and trying to choose something half-way decent is hard. I can ask them to leave out the cream and brown sugar, but I have ordered this and enjoyed it, when I would have gotten a different 'sausage' option. Don't make the perfect the enemy of the good. I have a feeling that no matter what McD's did, you wouldn't give them credit for it.