[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Computer issue

rajncajn

I hate it when companies are too short sighted to see the long term affects of not upgrading their systems. Someone looks at the price tag for upgrading to Windows 7 and says they can’t afford it. Meanwhile they leave their employee’s machines more vulnerable to security issues by leaving XP on them. They also have no problem paying IT personnel to chase down these issues that may have very well been avoided altogether. Add to this the loss of employee productivity because their machines are running at a snail’s pace and all those things need to be considered when determining whether or not to upgrade.

I also don’t like how often I see IT guys try one or two things to solve the problem and when that doesn’t work they immediately play the “re-install the OS” card. This doesn’t get to the root of the problem. I want the IT guys to find out why your machine has slowed down to a crawl. If it is due to a virus of some sort I want to know which virus and how did it get into your machine? Are others at risk? Is your virus protection software adequate? If it’s a hardware issue what needs to be upgraded?

In the end someone should be able to put together a pretty good analysis of what it is costing the company by NOT upgrading. Then you have something to compare the cost of the new licenses/hardware to.

Pipe dreams...

Sorry...carry on.