[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Just applied at Raleigh Studios in Hollywood

tazinib1

So awhile back while I was shooting a movie at Raleigh Studios in Hollywood, I got to talking to the equipment rental manager. We hit it off pretty good and he told me to give him a call when I got tired of hustling for gigs. So...after much thought, I called him up today. They have a entry level position in the rental department that just opened up. The pay is great and it has benefits but damnit if I'm having second thoughts. Most of you would think this to be a no-brainer and at $24 an hour full time, and I would agree. Except being on set is something I just can't explain. I fell in love the moment I stepped onto a set and I just can't imagine being cooped up in a rental house. I'm driving up to Hollywood to meet with him this week and discuss it further. But it sounded like the job could be mine if I want it. The only thing that makes this plausible is that Raleigh Studios...well its Raleigh Studios and damnit if its not one of the coolest places on the planet.

Tough call. You'll have security, but the thrill of making movies will be gone. Of course, you pay for that thrill with not knowing where your next gig will be each year. It's a hard life. What are your long term goals?

Gaffer in 2 years

Cinematographer (Or Director of Photography) in 10yrs

Taking this job takes me off set and derails those goals for however long I stay with the Studio. On the other hand, it affords me opportunities to meet other Gaffers/DP's while at the studio as well.