[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Windows 7 File Name Column

gbpfan1231

Can anyone help here?

I have recently switched to Windows 7 and noticed that in all applications the file name column when opening a document is too small. I have a lot of files where I have a long name and frequently put a date at the end or a Rev 2 and now when I open something in Explorer, Excel, Word, etc the file name is truncated. When I make the column wider by dragging it then it is fine but next time I go in it goes back to the original width.

Any fixes for this? I would like the fix to be consistent on ALL folders in ALL application (at least Excel, Wrod, Explorer)

Thanks!

Can anyone help here?

I have recently switched to Windows 7 and noticed that in all applications the file name column when opening a document is too small. I have a lot of files where I have a long name and frequently put a date at the end or a Rev 2 and now when I open something in Explorer, Excel, Word, etc the file name is truncated. When I make the column wider by dragging it then it is fine but next time I go in it goes back to the original width.

Any fixes for this? I would like the fix to be consistent on ALL folders in ALL application (at least Excel, Wrod, Explorer)

Thanks!

In Explorer:

Set a folder to the view you want.

Organize, select Folder and search options. Click View tab. Click Apply to Folders.

When I carried this out, all other folders I opened had the same wider width for the file name.

In Explorer:

Set a folder to the view you want.

Organize, select Folder and search options. Click View tab. Click Apply to Folders.

When I carried this out, all other folders I opened had the same wider width for the file name.

Thanks. I did that before and it seems to have worked for Explorer but not when trying to open files in Excel. I spend the majority of my time opening files via Excel and I would guess the 2nd most is Explorer. The Explorer side is fixed but is there something similar with Excel?

I did see how to do it with Excel but it only seems to work for that specific "session" when I go back to open the same file the width is back to what it was.

So far not a big fan of Windows 7 - found a lot more annoyances than benefits so far.

Thanks. I did that before and it seems to have worked for Explorer but not when trying to open files in Excel. I spend the majority of my time opening files via Excel and I would guess the 2nd most is Explorer. The Explorer side is fixed but is there something similar with Excel?

I did see how to do it with Excel but it only seems to work for that specific "session" when I go back to open the same file the width is back to what it was.

So far not a big fan of Windows 7 - found a lot more annoyances than benefits so far.

I just tested this and the folder I set to look different stayed different in the following session.

I just tested this and the folder I set to look different stayed different in the following session.

How did you do it? Here is what I did...

Opened Excel and when I got to the folder that conatined the file I wanted (Name was truncated) I did the following:

Right Clicked in "White Space" and clicked Sort By... More

With The NAME column HIghlighted I changed the number in the field called "Width of Selected Column (in pixels) to 350 and then opened up a file.

Then clicked the Open icon and everything was back to being truncated - I also tried to shut down excel after opening file and going back to Excel and it was still all truncated???

How did you do it? Here is what I did...

Opened Excel and when I got to the folder that conatined the file I wanted (Name was truncated) I did the following:

Right Clicked in "White Space" and clicked Sort By... More

With The NAME column HIghlighted I changed the number in the field called "Width of Selected Column (in pixels) to 350 and then opened up a file.

Then clicked the Open icon and everything was back to being truncated - I also tried to shut down excel after opening file and going back to Excel and it was still all truncated???

I simply widened the column by dragging and changed the view to medium icons (randomly selected this to test it) by using the Change Your View icon at top right.

I simply widened the column by dragging and changed the view to medium icons (randomly selected this to test it) by using the Change Your View icon at top right.

Does not seem to work - very frustrating.

I don't see a change Your View icon at the top right???

Anyway - thanks for the help.