[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I love me some ACLU

SEC=UGA

(CNN) -- Florida Gov. Rick Scott on Sunday defended recent legislation that requires adults applying for welfare assistance to undergo drug screenings, saying the law provides "personal accountability."

"It's not right for taxpayer money to be paying for somebody's drug addiction," Scott told CNN's T.J. Holmes on Sunday. "On top of that, this is going to increase personal responsibility, personal accountability. We shouldn't be subsidizing people's addiction."

But the ACLU of Florida, which has already filed suit against Scott over a measure requiring government employees to undergo random drug testing, disagrees, and may sue over the welfare law as well.

"What (Scott) is doing is giving ugly legitimacy to an unfortunate stereotype that has been in this country for a couple of decades -- that all welfare recipients are a bunch of drug abusers," said Howard Simon, executive director of the ACLU of Florida.

Scott told CNN he wants to ensure that welfare funds go to their primary target -- to disadvantaged children -- and provide people with an incentive not to use drugs. He signed the measure on June 1, calling it "the right thing for taxpayers."

Under the law, which takes effect on July 1, the Florida Department of Children and Family Services will be required to conduct the drug tests on adults applying to the federal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program. The aid recipients would be responsible for the cost of the screening, which they would recoup in their assistance if they qualify.

Those who fail the required drug testing may designate another individual to receive the benefits on behalf of their children, and do not receive a refund for the test.

Shortly after the bill was signed, five Democrats from the state's congressional delegation issued a joint statement attacking the legislation, one calling it "downright unconstitutional."

"Governor Scott's new drug testing law is not only an affront to families in need and detrimental to our nation's ongoing economic recovery, it is downright unconstitutional," said Rep. Alcee Hastings. "If Governor Scott wants to drug test recipients of TANF benefits, where does he draw the line? Are families receiving Medicaid, state emergency relief, or educational grants and loans next?"

"I work for the ACLU, and it's our job to prevent trampling on the constitutional rights of people," Simon said. The Constitution mandates that searches cannot be conducted without probable cause, he said.

Controversy over the measure was heightened by Scott's past association with a company he co-founded that operates walk-in urgent care clinics in Florida and counts drug screening among the services it provides. In April, Scott, who had transferred his ownership interest in Solantic Corp. to a trust in his wife's name, said the company would not contract for state business, according to local media reports.

Asked about the company Sunday, Scott said he is in the process of selling his family's interest in the company and "it will be sold in a couple of weeks." There is no conflict of interest, he said.

On May 18, the Florida Ethics Commission ruled that two conflict-of-interest complaints against Scott were legally insufficient to warrant investigation, and adopted an opinion that no "prohibited conflict of interest" existed.

On the measure requiring public employees to undergo drug testing, Simon noted that public employees -- workers in city, county, state and federal government -- are protected by the Constitution and should not undergo "intrusive" drug testing without probable cause to believe a person is using drugs.

Some may not agree with this particular ACLU effort and probably will use it as a stick to beat them with but I personally believe they are an excellent watchdog. It's really easy to beat up on people on welfare and those that would try to defend them.

Yeah I'd hate for welfare recipients to have their drug habits prevented.

The ACLU and Dems bucking a blatantly common sense effort and using the "don't stereotype!" card to do it - with a laughably weak rationale to boot. What a shock.

How is the gov't (or any business, for that matter) requiring drug tests for ALL recipients an issue? It's not like they're only testing blacks or women or young people or Charger fans.

Of all the counter-productive, mindless POS unions in the country, the ACLU is by far the leader.

Funny, no mention of the ACLU here:

Requiring Chicago Housing Authority residents to be drug-tested and making it easier to evict tenants with family members accused of crime is unconstitutional and will backfire, residents said today at a downtown rally.

The CHA is proposing to change its lease policy to require all adults renting or living in CHA housing to be tested yearly for drug use, and to make drug testing mandatory for everyone applying to live in CHA buildings.

The revised policy would also make it easier for the CHA to evict tenants who live with someone who commits a crime.

The CHA says it’s responding to residents’ safety concerns and already has a similar drug policy in place in developments that have replaced older public housing across the city.

But residents who rallied outside CHA headquarters at 60 E. Van Buren St. this morning said the drug proposal would violate the U.S. Constitution’s guarantee against unreasonable searches, and would penalize families trying to steer relatives away from drug abuse.

UPON FURTHER REVIEW:

The Chicago Housing Authority wants to require all adults who currently live in, or apply in the future for housing in any of its developments, to be tested for drugs — including senior citizens.

The blanket policy proposal for anyone 18 years or older has residents and housing advocates crying foul.

The American Civil Liberties Union charges the public agency seeks to place a double standard on the poor.

“It’s such an insensitive proposal to even bring to the table,” said Myra King, a resident of the Far South Side Lowden Homes development. She chairs the Central Advisory Council of tenant leaders from CHA properties all across the city.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/5614212...-residents.html

Edited by SEC=UGA

On your chicago example, there is a woman who is being evicted because her 28 year old adult son was caught with drugs. Seems capricious, no?

Nope. She should have better control of what goes on in her house. Was he on the lease, also?

ETA:

Also controversial is a proposed elimination of the so-called “innocent tenant defense,” referring to evictions initiated when a drug-related or violent crime has been committed by a relative or guest of the leaseholding tenant — but the tenant was not involved nor had knowledge of the crime. In 2002, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled housing authorities may evict under such “innocent tenant” circumstances, so CHA would be within its rights. But former CHA chief Terry Peterson had negotiated an agreement with tenants that had continued to allow the defense if it could be proved in court.

Edited by SEC=UGA

Nope. She should have better control of what goes on in her house. Was he on the lease, also?

ETA:

Also controversial is a proposed elimination of the so-called “innocent tenant defense,” referring to evictions initiated when a drug-related or violent crime has been committed by a relative or guest of the leaseholding tenant — but the tenant was not involved nor had knowledge of the crime. In 2002, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled housing authorities may evict under such “innocent tenant” circumstances, so CHA would be within its rights. But former CHA chief Terry Peterson had negotiated an agreement with tenants that had continued to allow the defense if it could be proved in court.

Nope. Not on the lease.

Nope. Not on the lease.

So she was allowing him to sell drugs from her house to the neighborhood children, she should be evicted and then shot for being an accessory to a crime.

In a previous job, I worked for a large national grocery chain whose stores were usually in very rural areas or very urban areas. Anybody else ever see somebody come up the register to pay for groceries with an EBT card, find out it doesn't work or have money left on it, only to pull out one or more other cards for payment? Excuse me... but why do you have five different cards when yours simply gets "reloaded" every month? I am all for helping those who need it, however, I think something like this could go a loooooong way in curbing abuse and fraud. Maybe it's the right answer, maybe it's not. At least a discussion about many of the entitlement programs are now being had (long overdue, IMHO).

In a previous job, I worked for a large national grocery chain whose stores were usually in very rural areas or very urban areas. Anybody else ever see somebody come up the register to pay for groceries with an EBT card, find out it doesn't work or have money left on it, only to pull out one or more other cards for payment? Excuse me... but why do you have five different cards when yours simply gets "reloaded" every month? I am all for helping those who need it, however, I think something like this could go a loooooong way in curbing abuse and fraud. Maybe it's the right answer, maybe it's not. At least a discussion about many of the entitlement programs are now being had (long overdue, IMHO).

Careful fella...the liberal hens are going to get their panties in a bunch over comments like this.

So she was allowing him to sell drugs from her house to the neighborhood children, she should be evicted and then shot for being an accessory to a crime.

Nope. The guy gave his moms address when arrested, and she was promptly evicted. he wasnt living there.

This is shown as how there could be some problems with such a policy, as this policy already has problems that affect non-offenders.

I dont have a problem with the drug testing, but you better be damn sure that it is beyond reproach, as many of the people in CHA are senior citizens. Just sayin' . . .

Plus, how expensive will the tests be? If a majority are clean, then wouldnt that be a massive waste of taxpayer money?

SEC, you are talking about CHICAGO. The city of massive corruption and insider deals. But this seems to be a hot button subject? :wacko: Da;ey has pissed away MILLIONS on boondoggles.

Absolutely right. There are always criminals trying to game the system, no matter what it is.better oversight is always needed to curb abuse of any public money dispersemnent.

Article in the chicago papers today showed that mayor Daley's son benefited to the tune of 700K by getting "awarded" a contract to install wi-fi at airports, even though he shouldnt have been involved..

Some may not agree with this particular ACLU effort and probably will use it as a stick to beat them with but I personally believe they are an excellent watchdog.

Now maybe more than ever with both parties willingness to support and extend Patriot Act legislation.

Did they go into the parking lot afterward and get into an Escelade?

And be careful, big cousin is reading this post. It hurts there business if they can't print EBT cards ya know.

Edited by tazinib1

In a previous job, I worked for a large national grocery chain whose stores were usually in very rural areas or very urban areas. Anybody else ever see somebody come up the register to pay for groceries with an EBT card, find out it doesn't work or have money left on it, only to pull out one or more other cards for payment? Excuse me... but why do you have five different cards when yours simply gets "reloaded" every month?

My guess is that it was someone who buys those cards off of the welfare recipient for 50-70 cents on the dollar.

My guess is that it was someone who buys those cards off of the welfare recipient for 50-70 cents on the dollar.

I would not wager against that guess.

Don't recall seeing Escalades in the parking lots either. But, oh, could I share some stories... like the moaning van in the parking lot and the gal opens the passenger door and spits... or being asked to buy a stereo with no serial number... seeing pics of the people busted posing their smiling face off in the office after getting busted trying to shoplift... some ate up shtuff out there man. Seeing a brand new store look like a war zone after close on opening day in some of these low income neighborhoods... food wrappers from people just coming in and eating food right there in the store. And then there were the neighborhoods themselves. I know we have some Huddlers from Dallas - how's the area around the Cotton Bowl, about 4 blocks down on MLK? We had an installer put copper wire down in the parking lot as part of the mechanism for making sure carts didn't leave the lot. He laid copper wire in the groove on the lot, went in the store for literally a couple minutes, came back out, and it was gone. Or what I call the Hannibal Lector cage we had built around the outside external A/C unit after the refrig unit had all copper stolen 4 times.

Careful fella...the liberal hens are going to get their panties in a bunch over comments like this.

What a shocker.

Nope. The guy gave his moms address when arrested, and she was promptly evicted. he wasnt living there.

This is shown as how there could be some problems with such a policy, as this policy already has problems that affect non-offenders.

I dont have a problem with the drug testing, but you better be damn sure that it is beyond reproach, as many of the people in CHA are senior citizens. Just sayin' . . .

Agreed on all counts. But you don't ditch the solution because it aint perfect.