[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

IT Help needed

chiefjay

Because it is VERY aggressive and will remove a lot of files, perhaps some you didn't want removed. It wipes everything in your internet cache, recycle bin and several other places. You cannot touch the machine while it is doing it's work. Clicking on the window it is working in can freeze the application causing bad things to happen like not being able to boot. Its output is all command line and it spends a large amount of time doing stuff without giving any updates so you are very tempted to try and intervene. It requires that the Windows recovery console be downloaded and installed before it can do its job. It needs to be run in safe mode w/networking and every time you reboot you need to make sure that it re-enters the same mode. Since it could reboot several times depending on what it finds, you have to sit and babysit while it runs.

I wonder if this can help me fix my PC (which runs Vista)? About two months ago I started getting the occasional BlueScreen of death, and it got progressively worse as time went on. When I finally got an antivirus to see if that could help - it found and removed Trojan.maljava, but the issues kept happening even after removal. I suspect the malware duplicated itself and installed into various other locations on my computer.

In any case, I gave up and declared the computer dead so it's just sitting in my apartment unused... Do you think ComboFix could resolve these issues or is the hassle even worth it? I could just as easily buy a new cheap desktop computer with Windows 7 or 8 and be happy with it. But if you think it's worth trying, I might give it a shot.

I wonder if this can help me fix my PC (which runs Vista)? About two months ago I started getting the occasional BlueScreen of death, and it got progressively worse as time went on. When I finally got an antivirus to see if that could help - it found and removed Trojan.maljava, but the issues kept happening even after removal. I suspect the malware duplicated itself and installed into various other locations on my computer.

In any case, I gave up and declared the computer dead so it's just sitting in my apartment unused... Do you think ComboFix could resolve these issues or is the hassle even worth it? I could just as easily buy a new cheap desktop computer with Windows 7 or 8 and be happy with it. But if you think it's worth trying, I might give it a shot.

ComboFix is a very specialized malware removal tool. It is targeted at a specific group of malware. If the one you have is a derivative of one of those,, then yes, it could work. Before you try it though, I'd really suggest trying either Malwarebytes or Super Antispyware. Both are highly effective. They should both be run in safe mode. I'd even try both.

ComboFix is a very specialized malware removal tool. It is targeted at a specific group of malware. If the one you have is a derivative of one of those,, then yes, it could work. Before you try it though, I'd really suggest trying either Malwarebytes or Super Antispyware. Both are highly effective. They should both be run in safe mode. I'd even try both.

Agree here and for you Grunt, since you've just tombstoned the computer anyway, I would wipe the hard drive and reinstall everything from scratch. It will be much faster and cleaner in the long run.

Agree here and for you Grunt, since you've just tombstoned the computer anyway, I would wipe the hard drive and reinstall everything from scratch. It will be much faster and cleaner in the long run.

But... but... I'm like 2/3rd done with three different campaigns in the Close Combat series.

I'll lose like one or two months of intense, totally saved gaming.... everything. :wacko: