[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

So how long does mankind have

BeeR

39 members have voted

1. 1. How long do we have??

• until Dec 2012 or sooner
    • before I died of old age (assuming I do)
    • well past my lifetime, maybe hundreds even thousands of yrs
    • a really long time, like way into thousands of yrs or even much more
    • other (desc)

There is also the duality of many religions that should be noted. One religion will talk about going to heaven for believers but that also makes a stark contrast with the reality that many people would be going to hell if your particular choice of Bronze age monotheism is correct. If some child is born in a village in Timbuktu and has never heard of Jesus, than there are some questions to answer for if a belief says that they go to hell for not being a believer. So while you're sensitive to those dismissing your beliefs and see it as being "crapped on" there are numerous religions that see their way as the "only" way and are kind of "crapping" on a good portion of the populace. Just saying... (for the record I'm a practicing Catholic and it seemed like SEC's post was probably more of the bag of rajn variety, but he was just trying to make a funny. :wacko:)

The people of Timbuktu have probably been aware of the stories of Jesus since the 13th (definitely since the 16th century) century as it was a trading hub. Though, the area is predominantly Islamic.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Instantly dismissing those beliefs as a mere myth

Myth has two definitions:

1. A falsehood; bunk; BS.

2. A sacred narrative explaining how the world and humankind came to be in their present form.

I used the word mythology which refers to the second definition. So rather than dismissing your post I was merely defining your statements for what they are.

Myth has two definitions:

1. A falsehood; bunk; BS.

2. A sacred narrative explaining how the world and humankind came to be in their present form.

I used the word mythology which refers to the second definition. So rather than dismissing your post I was merely defining your statements for what they are.

a myth is just the attempted explication in human thoughts and symbols of a concept that transcends complete human understanding. it's a way to communicate something which, by it's nature, cannot be fully communicated -- and it is the ONLY language man has for talking about anything that transcends his own understanding. if you approach a myth AS a myth, it can be a tremendous aid to spiritual insight. you get the problems when you approach a myth as some sort of concrete truth.

but your post in question was pretty condescending and dickish.

Jeez, lighten up. You made a comment about this turning into a religious debate and I was making a joke about that.

Looked like more trolling to me. But regardless, whatever, as I said not a big either way.

Edited by BeeR

but your post in question was pretty condescending and dickish.

Which is why I attempted to clarify what I was saying and apologized.

if you approach a myth AS a myth, it can be a tremendous aid to spiritual insight. you get the problems when you approach a myth as some sort of concrete truth.

LOL, well you just pretty much said the same thing I was saying, which to a devout believer (who considers the bible to be concrete truth) would be condescending and dickish. I would surmise that most churchgoers don't see the bible as a bunch of colorful stories written by men. When I went to Sunday school, it was presented as sacred text handed down by God himself. Also SB made his statements as God-honest declarations, not, "I read the most interesting story the other day..."