[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

getting raped on my telco bill

Azazello1313

between the land line (and all the effin taxes), DSL, directv and two cell phones, that chit is close to $300 a month.

the cell bill is what it is, and I'm not ready to cut the cord on the TV. the phone and long distance is the stupidest throwaway money of them all, BUT we don't get great cell reception at the house and we need to keep the number. I am thinking of switching over to cable for internet (so hey, it's cheap for 6 months at least), ditching phone, and getting one of these voip box things, pay for it once and you're done. anyone have any relatable experience with them? I can save a little more, in the short term at least, if I were to switch from directv and bundle cable internet and TV. thinking I may stick with what I'm used to though.

any thoughts? anything else I should be considering?

We had terrible reception at home too. But we ditched the land line and plugged a cell phone reception booster (Sprint calls it an Air Rave) into the back of the router. Reception is perfect now. We also went with a wireless alarm system so no need for the land line there.

I have no experience with the VOIP thing so can't help you there.

even if we could ditch the land line, we can't really ditch the number. or we could maybe but it would be a big hassle. it's the number on all my wife's business materials and such. if it works I'd rather pay 200 bucks for something that allows us to keep the number (for free or close to it thereafter) than pay something similar for a cell signal booster.

We had terrible reception at home too. But we ditched the land line and plugged a cell phone reception booster (Sprint calls it an Air Rave) into the back of the router. Reception is perfect now. We also went with a wireless alarm system so no need for the land line there.

I have no experience with the VOIP thing so can't help you there.

You could get what Double agent is referring to and then keep your current DSL and just ask for the line to be a naked DSL (a.k.a. standalone or dry loop DSL) from your phone provider. Basically you take off the phone portion and just have the line running DSL only. The price up the cost of the having just a dry loop, but you still come out cheaper than you would having to pay for the additional local and long distance fees. I think when I checked on it, it came out to being like $17-$20 dollars a month for the naked DSL.

Edited by millerx