[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Be The Match update

tazinib1

Dear Michael,

Thank you for joining the Be The Match Registry®. You are now an official member of the registry, making you part of every patient's search for a match.

What's next:

You will receive your membership card by mail in about a month.

If you are a possible match for a patient, we will contact you with important next steps. Please be ready to respond if you are called!

New patient searches begin every day, so you could be a match for a patient soon or many years from now, or you may never be identified as a match for someone. About 1 in 540 members of the Be The Match Registry go on to donate to a patient.

Ways you can stay involved:

* Watch for your monthly e-newsletter for registry members offering information about the donation process, donor and patient stories and updates on our work.

* Update your contact information if it changes, so we can reach you quickly if you match a patient. You can update your information online at BeTheMatch.org/update. Please include your donor center number - 127 -- and donor record number - 256823.

* Invite your friends to join the Be The Match Registry:

http://registry.marrow.org/site/PageServer...ecards_sept2009

* Make a financial gift - Your gift will help patients with uninsured transplant costs, support transplant research and grow the Be The Match Registry: BeTheMatchFoundation.org/give

Michael, welcome to a community of people passionate about saving lives through marrow donation. You are giving patients hope for a future.

Thank you for joining,

Be The Match

Man this has been a long process but I'm officially in the system now. Looking forward to getting some good news soon!!

:wacko:

Well done!

They told me that it takes up to two months for them to analyze the sample I sent in. that was around 6 weeks ago, so I hope to see the same email you got very soon ( or they will share the info with the CDC and they will be knocking on my door)

Well done!

They told me that it takes up to two months for them to analyze the sample I sent in. that was around 6 weeks ago, so I hope to see the same email you got very soon ( or they will share the info with the CDC and they will be knocking on my door)

A well done right back atcha!!

That makes 2 Huddlers who are potential doners. Love it!!

Edited by tazinib1

A well done right back atcha!!

That makes 2 Huddlers who are potential doners. Love it!!

I did this myself a few months back. Updated my organ donor status, signed up for the bone marrow registry and have been doing regular blood donations for a while now. I'm scheduled to do the plasma donation my next go round.

After 40 years of really ignoring this stuff, I've realized that it's all relatively easy to do and the idea of helping save a life is pretty powerful.

I did this myself a few months back. Updated my organ donor status, signed up for the bone marrow registry and have been doing regular blood donations for a while now. I'm scheduled to do the plasma donation my next go round.

After 40 years of really ignoring this stuff, I've realized that it's all relatively easy to do and the idea of helping save a life is pretty powerful.

3 Huddlers and counting!! Awesome!!

ETA: Plasma donation is easy. Helping out burn victims is something you can do AND get paid for. I was a heavy plasma donor for a while.

Edited by tazinib1

Awesome!!!

3 Huddlers and counting!! Awesome!!

ETA: Plasma donation is easy. Helping out burn victims is something you can do AND get paid for. I was a heavy plasma donor for a while.

I must look into this plasma thing you donate. Is it through Red Cross?

I had to laugh. Right after I read this, i reached for my wallet to verify my drivers license stil had the Organ Doner identified on it. Whew!

Amazing what hiddler conversation makes me do. :wacko:

I must look into this plasma thing you donate. Is it through Red Cross?

I'm actually doing it through the normal blood donation site I use every 8 weeks. You'll need to check in your area though, I think some places have the ability to do the plasma donations and others don't.

You mentioned your organ donor status on your DL. I had done that so long ago, I wasn't sure if it was still in effect or what - so I registered online (state of California) to make sure it was official.

It'll be 4 once I get through the military version (which knowing them could take decades). Seriously hopefully it won't take long.

PS careful it looks like many of you might be ineligible: http://marrow.org/Join/Medical_Guidelines/...gistry.aspx#Men

Great idea/thread.

I made it through!

And I applaud you for even trying. This is a major commitment to save a persons life we have never met.

When I signed up for this, I had something missing. As I grow older, I feel I have not contributed to humanity. I look at my life and I think...what the hell is missing? Then this showed up...out of the blue. I'm all in. Hopefully I don't get hit by a truck before I can save a life.

And for any of you opther Huddlers that are considering this...do it.

I made it through!

And I applaud you for even trying. This is a major commitment to save a persons life we have never met.

When I signed up for this, I had something missing. As I grow older, I feel I have not contributed to humanity. I look at my life and I think...what the hell is missing? Then this showed up...out of the blue. I'm all in. Hopefully I don't get hit by a truck before I can save a life.

And for any of you opther Huddlers that are considering this...do it.

+100000 IF Taz didnt originally post his messsage a couple months back, I would have never known about this. Join if you can.