[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Cannot delete IE9

BeeR

OK here's a challenge for the PC gurus. Bought a new system. Came pre-installed with IE9. I was OK with it until it started randomly "spawning" new instances of IE9, and I mean very often. Couldn't fix (no virus/etc detected) So I figure fine, I'll just use another browser. Didn't matter, kept doing it.

So I figured I'll uninstall it. Nice idea but it's not in the list of installed programs (??) so I can't unintall that way. And surprise, going to the IE9 folder there is no uninstall program, at least I didn't see any.

I thought OK, screw it, I'll just delete the program folder. But POFS Windows won't let me and won't let me change permissions to do so. wth? You would think being the only one with an account on this PC and so presumably the "administrator" I'd have permissions to delete it, but no. (trying "run as administrator" type stuff didn't work either) Same thing when tryng to delete iexplore.exe.

So I use a utility program (malwarebytes) to both rename the folder and delete iexplore.exe. Now the .exe is gone it can't run, right? I reboot, and......

It STILL runs. :angry:

Any idea how to delete this program from hell?

Edited by BeeR

Buy a Mac? :shrug:

heh - yeah in hindsight maybe that was the answer, should have finally flipped off MS. Too late now though.

As I said, no virus, at least none AVG or malwar detected. Still possible but I doubt it.

PS I tried reverting to IE8, didn't matter......

From Microsoft:

To uninstall Internet Explorer

If you're trying to uninstall Internet Explorer because of an issue with the browser, first check to see if a solution is listed in Internet Explorer 9 Help and How-to.

The following instructions apply to both Windows 7 and Windows Vista.

1. Click the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818.jpg, type Programs and Features in the search box, and then click View installed updates in the left pane.

2. Under Uninstall an update, scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section.

3. Right-click Windows Internet Explorer 9, click Uninstall, and then, when prompted, click Yes.

4. Click one of the following:

• Restart now (to finish the process of uninstalling Internet Explorer 9 and restore the previous version of Internet Explorer).

• Restart later

gl_ico.png

Note

After you uninstall Internet Explorer 9, the previously installed version of Internet Explorer will be available on your PC. It isn't necessary to reinstall.

Thx but as I mentioned, I already "uninstalled" IE9 and am on 8 now. Doesn't matter, still does it.

I want IE gone from my PC entirely.

Presuming you have Win 7 installed... try this

1. Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Programs and Features

2. Top left corner / in margin, click "Turn off Windows features". Might take a minute or two to load.

3. In the "Windows Features" window which opens, uncheck the box for IE.

Have not tried, just recall seeing that option buried like it is at some point before.

ETA: Been thinking about this for a bit, and I don't believe IE can be "permanently deleted", enforced by M$FT. My experience with M$FT says the "turn off" function is all which can be done, and there's NO WAY they'll allow their browser(s) to be 100% completely uninstalled.

Edited by lennykravitz2004

You are the man. Thx! :) I agree it's probably impossible to delete the POS, but I'll settle for totally disabled. Thx very much, appreciate the replies. I'm not wild about Chrome but it is a little quicker and not doing that spawning BS.

Edited by BeeR