[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Thoughts on Kelvin Benjamin ?

medalofhonor

It somehow seems like people almost never talk about Kelvin Benjamin.

There are two ways to look at Kelvin Benjamin's season so far :

1) The consistent production guy who gets at least 70 odd yards every week and has established a safe floor of about 7 points in standard leagues.

2) The consistently disappointing player who is expected to have a lot of upside but has constantly failed to live up to that barring Week 1.

I somehow find myself to feel stronger about 2 than 1.

It's true that he has a safe floor but it seems like he always seems to achieve his floor but nothing more. I start him every week thinking he will be the difference maker in my lineup but he never does !

Kelvin has a great schedule coming up against some really week defenses but playing in a PPR league, I am not keen to start him over guys like Diggs (who has a lot of volume) and even somebody like ARob (who has been terrible but still has more volume) .

Curious to know what you guys think about him. Has he disappointed you too, or has he been your quietly consistent player ?

i think he's good enough to be a top 10 WR, especially with cam, but the panthers offense has struggled this year. he didn't put up huge catch/yardage totals in 2014, so I think part of his fantasy appeal coming into the season was that he could score a lot of TDs in that offense (and, no one had the expectation that the offense would get worse)

2014 numbers: 1008 yds, 73 rec, 9 TDs

2016 numbers extrapolated to 16 games: 1115 yds, 76 rec, 7 TDs

even with the offense struggling he's improved a little bit on yards/catches. it's really just the TDs that have declined. not an awful decline, but 2 TDs does make a difference. he's WR22 right now in ppr points per game between pryor and landry. say a hopeful expectation during fantasy drafts was that he'd score about 12 TDs this year. if he had 6 TDs at this point instead of 4, just 12 extra points, that would move him up to WR16 (in ppr points per game) between demaryius and michael thomas. In 2014, he was WR19, so.... not bad?

also, a big reason the panthers have struggled (especially the passing game) is cause they've allowed so much pressure on cam. notice how their offense played well the first two games, but got noticeably worse after michael oher got injured which was in week 3. i don't think that's a coincidence. oher's still out, no timetable for return says rotoworld.

Edited by pun
  • Like 2