[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Missing persons report - Jerry Jeudy

Icarus

As  I saw that nice long TD tonight, I remembered he was on my team. But I checked everywhere and can't figure out what happened.

Last year (2021), he was on my roster for 3 years. I moved him on IR, then back off in November 2021. But when it came time for the contracts, he wasn't on my sheets to address (and I don't have my whole roster from the previous year memorized).

Can we dig around and find out what happened? He should be on my team with 2 contract years.. but also since he was hiding, I filled his spot.

I'm not sure what happened.  Clerical error? 

For the record, I do hope that every owner is not relying on our spreadsheet to be the end all be all of everything.  Errors do happen and we do not know each team in and out to know if something is incorrect - this is one of the reasons we keep previous years of contracts and hope that every owner is double and triple checking things.

Shane and I will take some time to discuss and propose a resolution for discussion.  My gut instinct is that it is not fair to make any player a free agent at this point if they should have been on your team with contract years - but we need to discuss and look at all perspectives first.

We will try to get back to you tomorrow on this.  Be prepared to cut players/years to correct your contracts...

We are not sure when Jeudy was deleted from your roster, most likely some time during all the additions of FA's and the movement of RFA's.  For my own curiosity, I will try to see if google docs has any sort of back-up system to determine when Jeudy was accidently removed from your roster.

Tim & I will need to attempt to comply with the rules the best and most fairly that have been set forth.   

Before Tim & I discuss how to correct the situation ....... I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on how you'd propose fixing this error while attempting to be fair to yourself while also attempting to maintain league rule integrity.

Your input will be greatly appreciated, because we'd like to make this right for everyone.

Thanks,

Shane

You should be able to see all of the previous versions. Along the top middle, there should be a link that says last version saved x days ago. Clicking on that gives a version history (to people with Edit permissions).

I agree, it likely happened when I picked up a FA WR or RFA WR. I can help round up those date ranges if that helps you guys. 

I understand what a pickle this is. We do have a responsibility to watch our teams, but I didn't have my roster memorized like that. I remember going into RFA thinking that I should emerge fine even though Diggs, Higgins, Williams, and Kirk were at risk. And then when I submitted my roster, I was surprised that my WR ranks looked a little thin, but I didn't think anyone was "missing". I just thought, "wow, rough RFA season". When I filled my roster with 20 and used all 40 contract years, I never imagined this situation....

When I see situations like this, I try to not think like a manager; I try to think more like a commish. 

There are many more possible solutions than I can think of, I would try for a solution that is non-punitive since these are rare and honest mistakes.

some remedy scenarios are:

1. a laissez-faire or caveat emptor type approach - mistakes were made. Juedy is not on a roster, everything continues as if he were a FA
  2. I am allowed to put him and his 2 years back on my roster and make corrections needed to drop to 20 players and 40 years (releasing 1-2 players without the 1 contract year penalty)
  3. There is the punitive approach - he is on my roster, and I am penalized for being over on players and years. (I don't like this one 🤮)
  4. Here is a creative approach - Jeudy is back on my roster and I'm seemingly over my limit. But someone from a different division can choose Juedy and 2 other of my non-QB players to "freeze" (meaning I cannot start any of them and I'm down to 17 players in the interim) until I work out a trade to another manager or agree to give up Juedy (penalty free release)

There are obviously many other ideas. Those are a few. Let's see what we can work out.

Icarus.

edited for spelling, also edit to add Williams - my WRs got hammered in RFA!!

Edited by Icarus

He got mistakenly deleted from your team on Aug 19th - when Kirk left your team.  This was an honest mistake on both parts.  However, it was also not too long ago - at the end of RFAs.  I was concerned he left your team at the beginning of the offseason - even prior to the draft - and we must keep in mind that you had him listed on your team and could have been planning your team with him on your team in mind as you let 4 WRs go and acquired 2 others during open RFA bidding.

I would definitely recommend saving a copy of the spreadsheet to help plan your team over the offseason for all owners.  This would help keep the spreadsheet in check as well.

Shane and I discussed this over lunch, and I think we may be on the same page with you.  Shane, please speak up if I misunderstood you or have any other thoughts.

We discussed similar options to your #1, #2, and #3.  I personally do not like option #3.  #1 is maybe the most in line with the current rules - you should be in charge of your roster and should be tracking all of your players.  If a player is not listed on your contracts, that player is cut.  However, he would have incurred penalty years as he had existing contract years on him.  I don't like erasing a first round draft pick and contract years on an honest mistake on both sides of this.  Idea #4 is creative, but I can see several issues with this.  The first being 21 players to work with in formulating a trade at this time. 

I would be most supportive of option #2.  I don't think we would allow returning any credits that were spent to pick up any players (before or after Jeudy left your roster) that may or may not be cut now.  You would not be allowed to cut any players with existing contract years - unless you incur a penalty year just as you would in submitting contracts. 

I would suggest that you put your suggestions for contract changes here prior to the thursday night game for discussion.

Thank you so much for offering your input!

Just to help fill in some of the blanks with this accounting error. 

Tim & I went back to review when the error occurred.  It appears the error occurred on August 20th during RFA bidding. 

When Christian Kirk was sold to JD Bartell's team Jeudy was accidently deleted from your team along with Christian Kirk.

As a point of reference, RFA Bidding concluded w/ when Rashaad Penny was matched & Retained on August 25th.  It seems that Jeudy would have appeared on your spreadsheet/roster up until 5 days prior to the conclusion of RFA's. During the 5 days Jeudy was not shown to be on your roster you bid on Daniel Jones (RFA) and Daniel Carlson (FA).

This error is hind sight at this point, but hopefully may provide some clarity on the when and how.

Actually, I don't think you have any players impacted by the Thursday night game - so, we have a bit more time.  I am hopeful we can resolve this prior to Sunday's games. 

If anyone else has any thoughts, please feel free to chime in as well.

I think Icarus should be suspended one game (this week against me), and not be allowed to start any players. Just kidding.

If this happened to me, I would advocate against scenario 1, even though it aligns with the rules the closest. I agree with Tim and personally would be in favor of scenario 2 in this situation. 

• Haha 2

I like option 2.

The way I see this is, you get a second shot at doing contracts, as Tim mentions. That being said, if he has until Sunday to figure this out, it does not matter to me how Icuras achieves 20 active players - 40 contract yrs. So with that in mind, I could see the option of being able to pull a trade off before Sunday to be in compliance. 

I agree with no penalty on new contracts and penalty enforced per rules for existing contracts. Another option to reach compliance is to adjust new contracts to make room, in the case of losing 1 player and  not enough contract years available. Would be curious to see what the group thinks about that. 

1 hour ago, fuz said:

I would be most supportive of option #2.  I don't think we would allow returning any credits that were spent to pick up any players (before or after Jeudy left your roster) that may or may not be cut now.  You would not be allowed to cut any players with existing contract years - unless you incur a penalty year just as you would in submitting contracts. 

Edited by Sallen

So far, everyone that has chimed in seems to be in agreement with Option #2 as a good plan of attack.

Please submit your changes to your roster in this thread ASAP.  You do not have to submit a whole new set of contract years for all players - just the changes to your roster that would keep you in compliance as if you were submitting a roster when contracts are due (penalty years for cutting existing contracted players, max players/years, etc.).

Let me know if you have any questions.

OK. Thanks to everyone for being receptive on this. 

When I was counting Jeudy, I didn't think I had room for Darrell Henderson. Then all of a sudden I was able to keep him. So I think the honest thing to do is to drop him (starter for the Rams - go get him boys!)

Drop Darrell Henderson and his one contract year - Change Tyler Allgeier from 2 contract years to 1 contract year.

That will give me the one roster spot and 2 years to accommodate Jeudy.

Thank you all,

Icarus

Sorry for error and thank you for you patience while we worked through an equitable solution David!

Your spreadsheet has been updated, please double check it for accuracy.

Tim will edit your MFL roster accordingly.

Thanks to everyone for the input,

Shane