[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Philadelphia offers #31 for Howard

Blitztalk

Trade activity could include N.O.'s Howard

Saturday, April 23, 2005

By Jeff Duncan

Staff writer

Grab your pencils and erasers, it could be a busy day of trades today in the NFL draft.

The disparity in player rankings among teams and the high number of veteran players on the blocks are the reasons.

"This might be a record-setter," first-year Seattle general manager Tim Ruskell said. "I don't remember one with this much activity being talked about prior to the draft."

Saints general manager Mickey Loomis said he doesn't expect this weekend's draft to be any more chaotic than others.

"I think it'll be the same as past years, there'll be about 20 to 30 deals," Loomis said.

The Saints might contribute to that total.

New Orleans has shopped defensive end Darren Howard throughout the offseason. The Saints have also dangled tight end Boo Williams and guard Kendyl Jacox, according to two league sources.

Dallas still seems the most willing suitor for Howard, whom the Saints have designated as their franchise player. The Cowboys have two first-round picks, Nos. 11 and 20, and a willingness to pull the trigger. Dallas has dealt its first-round pick 10 times since 1993, including last year to Buffalo.

The Saints have fielded calls from Dallas, Washington and Philadelphia this week.

The Cowboys reportedly offered to swap first-round picks with the Saints, sending the No. 11 pick to New Orleans in exchange for the No. 16 and Howard.

Philadelphia also reportedly offered its first-round pick, No. 31 overall, for Howard.

The Saints, however, appear reluctant to part with their most productive defender for anything less than a middle first-rounder.

Howard, who led the Saints with 11 sacks last season, has been a regular participant in the club's offseason conditioning program. The Saints are scheduled to pay him a $7.8 million base salary this season. Loomis would like to lower that figure so he can complete long-term contract extensions with Joe Horn, Deuce McAllister, LeCharles Bentley and Mike McKenzie.

If Howard isn't dealt, the Saints are expected to sign him to a long-term deal in July that would lower his $7.8 million salary-cap figure.

http://www.nola.com/sports/t-p/index.ssf?/...36022108300.xml

This is the first I have heard about Philly wanting Howard. It does not say if they want anything in addition to Howard. I say if they can't use him to move up they should jump on this, I'm going to get on the phone and give them the go ahead now...

Is there any word on what Philly got from SF?

Looks like a 4th #102 and a 6th. :D I wonder if the Henry deal is done and over with. ( as in no deal)

Looks like a 4th #102 and a 6th. :D I wonder if the Henry deal is done and over with. ( as in no deal)

791439[/snapback]

I think so. I don't think they would have taken the kid form LA Tech if it wasn't.