[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

For all u Iowa fans

GOB1

And ESPN commentator Chris Spielman saw it that way, too.

At one point, Spielman told his national TV audience: “There's too much on the line (for the officials) to keep missing calls.”

A look at some of the calls Spielman didn't like — and what he had to say about them:

With 42 seconds left in the first half, Iowa’s Marcus Schnoor is called for running into Florida punter Eric Wilbur, a penalty that gives the Gators a first down and lets them keep the football.

Spielman: “That was late, Mark. … We were watching him … he was looking, looking, looking, looking. Then he finally threw the flag.”

Jones: “Not sure whether that’s a good thing of bad thing.”

Spielman: “I don’t know if he ran into him or if the kicker’s plant leg brought him into Schnoor. I guess you could call that a little ticky-tack for my taste.”

Jones: “That angle, it didn’t appear as if they made direct contact. It looked like Wilbur actually landed on Schnoor.”

On the next play, Iowa’s Kenny Iwebema is called for a helmet-to-helmet hit against Florida quarterback Chris Leak with 33 seconds left in the half.

Spielman: “Wow, wow. … Gotta let ‘em play. … Iwebema was just trying to play football. That’s not a cheap shot.”

(Watches replay)

Spielman: “He didn’t hit him with his helmet, he hit him with his arm. … That’s it. Put flags on everybody. … Unbelievable!

“… If you can’t tackle in football anymore, I don’t know what you’re going to do. …”

(Watches replay again.)

“You can see that his helmet never hit him. You can see it from up top. His arm hits him. His helmet goes over the top of him. And right here, (the official) can’t wait to reach into the back pocket.

… “What upsets me most was it wasn’t helmet to helmet and it could change this game drastically if Florida is able to get points on the board because of the field position created by the 15-yard penalty.”

(Minutes later)

Jones: “There’s Kenny Iwebema … and he’s probably ruminating what exactly happened on that last penalty that was called against him.”

Spielman: “Not only that he’s probably thinking about it a couple of times.”

(After Florida scores a touchdown with :01 left in the half.)

Jones: “And now, Iowa thinking even more about that penalty against Kenny Iwebema.”

Spielman: “The phantom penalty! Penalty for tackling!”

With a little over four minutes left in the third quarter, and Iowa trying to rally, Clinton Solomon was called for a face mask.

Spielman: “Vernell Brown was the one that had Clinton Solomon’s face mask.”

Jones: “Hold on a second. Did we see that right? … If that’s all there is to it, they got the wrong guy.”

Spielman: “…If you’re going to call it, see the whole thing.”

Jones: “… That seemed to be an inexplicable call.”

With about 10 minutes left in the fourth quarter, Florida’s center is called for holding.

(Watches replay)

Spielman: “See, that’s a bad call. That’s a horrible call.”

Jones: “Is that just technique?”

Spielman: “Yeah, that’s the technique that’s taught. I’ve never heard of that one, either.”

With 7:25 to play, Iowa got a first down on a Drew Tate to Clinton Solomon pass for a first down.

Spielman: “They got a favorable spot.”

(Watches replay)

Spielman: “They gave him a 2-yard spot. Maybe the layoff has kind of … a little rust on the officials. … I think there ought to be split crews. There’s been some issues. …

Spielman: “The game’s too fast for them (the Conference USA crew working the Outback Bowl).”

With 1:42 left and Iowa in a hurry-up offense, the Gators get caught with too many men on the field — and Spielman interrupts Jones’ play call to shout it out, even while Tate is dropping back to pass.

Spielman: “Florida had 12 men on the field — and the officials missed it.”

“… Again, another missed call by the officials. … The player did not get off the field. There were 12 men on the field. Unbelievable.”

(Watches replay)

Spielman: “That’s 12 men on the field. Should have been a flag.”

Iowa settles for a field goal and tries an onside kick with 1:24 to play. Even before seeing a replay, Spielman is sure of what he saw.

Spielman: “It looked to me like everybody was onside. … Let’s take a look at it and see if they were correct.”

(Watches replay)

Spielman: “That’s a bad call. … You know, really. To me, this is unconscionable. There’s the foot on the ball — he has not crossed the line.

“I just get upset because …

(Watches replay again)

Spielman: “He’s not crossed the line.”

Jones: “You can hear a chorus of boos showering down on the officiating crew from Conference USA.”

Spielman: “They should. There’s too much on the line to keep missing calls.”

Spielman: “Unbelievable.”

Spielman: “Take a look at it again. “

(Watches replay again)

Spielman: Kirk Ferentz has a right to be upset. Watch when the ball’s kicked. He is behind the line of scrimmage.

“Unconscionable to make that call! The game is too fast for these officials.

“I’m sorry if I’m hard on them but I’m passionate about this game, guys are playing their hearts out, they execute a play and they took it away from them.”

Edited by GOB1

I want to point out, that this in no way made Iowa lose the game, but it did keep them from winning. Bottom line though, Iowa couldn't stop Florida on 3rd down all day long. Dallas Baker had a career day, and Iowa never adjusted at all which I'm even more upset about, because florida ran the same play all day long, and Iowa never adjusted. Florida got a gift punt block for a td early, and then Tate badly overthrew his target which was int'd by Vernell Brown who had nothing but daylight ahead of him after that. You can't make those mistakes and expect to win. I'm proud that Iowa fought back in the 4th quarter despite playing against teh Gators and the refs, but fact is Florida came in with a sound defensive strategy on stopping hte Big Tens leading rusher, and Iowa's offense was confused all day long. You have to play all 4 quarters. Not just one. Terrible officiating yes, but I give most of the credit to the Gators. They played with tremendous character, and really, they out-Iowa'd Iowa.