[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

speaking of sushi ...

montster

since the baby was born, we don't go out as much to dinner, but i've been doing a lot of cooking. something i always wanted to try was making our own sushi. we've got a lot of good fish markets around here with sushi-quality fish, so no problem there. i'm wondering if anyone's ever done it, how successful it was and what recommendations you can offer. thanks

I do it all of the time. The rice is really simple to prepare - rice vinegar, sugar, and a little salt and rice, I add it to the rice until I get a good enough consistency that makes it sticky. I've found that if you wrap your bamboo mat in plastic wrap it's easier to handle the rolls.

Basically, spead the rice across the nori leaving about a half inch of nori showing at the end furthest from you. Add all of your vegtables and fish and then proceed to roll it to the section of nori that doesn't have any rice on it. I'll then wet that section and finish the roll. Get a nice sharp knife, wet the blade, and cut it up.

Inside out rolls (rice on the outside) are a little more difficult but I use the same process but put a layer of rice down first then the nori then another layer of rice.

Preparing Nigiri is a piece of cake.... roll up a little ball of rice in your palm, place some wasabi on there and then add some fish to the top.

EDIT: Make sure you go to a good fish monger and get sushi grade fish.

Edited by twiley

I do it all of the time. The rice is really simple to prepare - rice vinegar, sugar, and a little salt and rice, I add it to the rice until I get a good enough consistency that makes it sticky. I've found that if you wrap your bamboo mat in plastic wrap it's easier to handle the rolls.

Basically, spead the rice across the nori leaving about a half inch of nori showing at the end furthest from you. Add all of your vegtables and fish and then proceed to roll it to the section of nori that doesn't have any rice on it. I'll then wet that section and finish the roll. Get a nice sharp knife, wet the blade, and cut it up.

Inside out rolls (rice on the outside) are a little more difficult but I use the same process but put a layer of rice down first then the nori then another layer of rice.

Preparing Nigiri is a piece of cake.... roll up a little ball of rice in your palm, place some wasabi on there and then add some fish to the top.

EDIT: Make sure you go to a good fish monger and get sushi grade fish.

right before posting this thread, i thought, should i post this to food and beverage, or should i just PM twiley? :D

thanks

right before posting this thread, i thought, should i post this to food and beverage, or should i just PM twiley? :D

thanks

:D

One thing I forgot to add: It'll save you some time if you buy the nori that is already roasted. If it's not roasted, I'll turn on the grill and hold it over the heat until it turns a lighter green as opposed to the dark green when it's still raw. Edit: let's see a charcoal grill do that within 5 minutes. :D

Edited by twiley