[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chargers DST

MrTed46

I know many people don't like rating DST but do you guys thinks this DST is for real or did they just play against 2 lousy teams.

I personally am going to pick them up because I think they can get Sacks and Turnover, althought I think they will give up the yards and points they will make it up in other areas.

Thoughts?

Uh hu! Leave it to a Chiefs fan!

The Bolts D has held TWO NFL TEAMS to 7 points in two weeks. The only score they gave up in trash time was when the Chargers had pulled their first unit and were playing 2s and 3s. Teh same thignhappened last week against the Raiders when MArty called his 1s back on the field to secure the shutout. He hates the Raiders but not the Titans.

I like Fisher and the Titans, but was pissed that Marty didn't call his 1s back out to secure the shutout when the Titans moved the ball at the end.

The defense is NOT going to give up wholesale points and is MUCH tighter in coverage this year. Many of the 9 sacks and a lot of the preassure this year has come from coverage. The Bolts employed a different scheme against the Titans because they were doing 3-5 step drops. Faster passes but the result was really the same. Nowhere to throw that ball!

I will agree that the Chargers have had a mush schedule for the first two, but when you look at how the Titans did move the ball on the Jets and the fact that the Raiders did move the ball, at times and scored on the Ravens in their crib, I don't think it is a stretch to call them a top 5 defense at this point. They are as big as JAX up front and they are as fast as Pittsburgh at LB. It is a scarey good front seven and should produce some great games.

Last year they were #1 against the run, and if they are median better against the pass, which I am sure they are, they should be dominant. Remeber how they went in a butalized the Colts last year? That team was never the same after their loss to the Chargers.

In all, yes, they are worth a pick up and if you are not comfortable, use then in match-up weeks when they paly creampuffs. They have the Raiders again, the Chiiefs twice and Denver twice, St. Luois, Cleveland, and even Pittsburgh looks like they are struggling on O and the Ravens are not exactly the Colts.

In my defense, I never said they are a bad defense. They kicked a** the first two weeks. I will not argue that. To call them a top 5 defense is a stretch. Obviously after two weeks of football you have completely written off every team in the AFC west except for the Chargers (in reference to noting them as match up plays for the Chargers Defense). I think it is safe to say that Oakland will be a great team to play match up with, but its a little early to say the same of Kansas City and Denver. Writing off the #1 overall offense of 2005 and the #2 rushing offense of 2005 after two games is pushing it.

I know you are excited right now, as all Charger fans are and should be, but don't let your homerism get in the way of rationalization.

YES San Diego's D has looked good in the first two games

YES San Diego has played the two worst teams in the NFL

YES San Diego is the best looking team in the AFC West right now

YES it is a bad idea to write off teams after 2 NFL games

NO KC and DEN are not teams to "play match up" on for defense (neither is STL, remember it is only week 2)

Basically, SD DEF is surely worth the roster spot, but top 5 is pushing it

Side note, McBoog im sure your loving your team in 32 more homers :D

Edited by Sigalf03

...Side note, McBoog im sure your loving your team in 32 more homers :brew:

DUDE, don't get twisted brah. Jus' playin'!

And BTW, my WRs SUCK! But 2-0 is cool by me. L.J. Smith has been a pleasent surprise! :brow: I thought in a limited roster league that starts a TE, that points at that position would be huge. I took him early and hope the strategy holds. It set me way behind at WR though! My depth sucks! We'll see :lol:

Your game with with Skilly was decide by 2 YARDS (.2 points) !?!?!?! :D:D:lol:

That was absolutly amazing! :woot:

I know many people don't like rating DST but do you guys think this DST is for real or did they just play against 2 lousy teams?

Yes and Yes.

I can't tell you how the Chargers defense will rank by the end of the year. It's way too early for that, but after going to the game yesterday, I CAN tell you that the front seven (Castillo, Williams, Olshansky [& Cesaire], Merriman, Godfrey, Edwards, and Phillips) are among the best I've ever seen, and the defensive backfield (Jammer, Florence, McCree, and Kiel) is playing WAY better than last year too. There is an attitude and swagger to the defensive unit this year, and I credit Merriman and McCree for that.

You could do alot worse than picking the Chargers "D" for your fantasy team. You'll see.