[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Hey Det

SheikYerbuti

How about a simple fried rice recipe. I try to make it at home but I can't get it as good as my local take out. I think I'm screwing up the sauce. Help a honkey out!

Wanna try some Thai fried rice?

Khoa Pad

Ingredients / Method Step 2

2 eggs, lightly beaten, with a pinch of salt

1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic

5 tablespoons vegetable oil

1/2 onion coarsely sliced

1/4 cup sliced fresh serano or Thai chile peppers (seeds removed)

6 cups cooked jasmine rice (made the day before, left at room temp in rice cooker works best)

1 tablespoon Golden Mountain Sauce

2 tablespoons fish sauce

1 1/2 tablespoon roasted chile paste (namprik pao)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon lime juice

1 1/2 teaspoons sugar

1/2 teaspoon Thai pepper powder

1/2 cup broccoli, cut into small florets

1 tomato, cut into wedges

2 green onions, finely sliced

Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a wok or skillet over medium heat. Add eggs and let it cook, flip it over and with a spatula chop the egg up into smaller pieces. Transfer egg to a plate and set aside.

Heat remaining oil in wok, add garlic and saute until golden brown. Add chicken and stir-fry briefly over high heat for 3-4 minutes. Add onion, chile pepper, and brocoli. Stir well. In a separate bowl, pour the next 7 ingredients onto the cooked rice. Gently add all of that to the wok, and stir it carefully to avoid smashing or breaking the rice. Throughly mix everything. Add tomato, green oinion, and egg, then stir fry for just a brief minute or two. Remove from heat. Serve garnished with sliced cucumber. Enjoy!

:wacko: This is a solid recipe from a Thai cooking site, but I don't use the sugar and you can use any veggies you prefer. When I was in the service (USAF, Vietnam era) and was living in Okinawa, my best bud and next door apartment dweller was married to Pook... and really wonderful young lady from Thailand. She made this Khao Pad dish many times for us. This one comes closest to what she did, and it was deliscious.

You can skip the Golden Mountain sauce and the chile paste.... use the other hot pepper ingredients to taste... this is still good even when made blandly (little to no spice heat). The fish sauce is a must, and I use 3 times as much as this recipe suggests. I don't use broccoli... I use cubed carrots, peas, corn, and bean sprouts are a must, or I won't make the dish at all. Jasmine rice is best, but I use whole long grain brown rice for health reasons... it's fine. If you really want the best flavor and authenticity, use the jasmine rice a day old as suggested.

If I use peas, Ilike them raw, so they go in with the tomato addition.

This is a recipe that is easilly modifed to suit what you might have on hand. Use the chicken, eggs, fish sauce, rice, onion, garlic and tomato.... and the rest can all be changed up to taste (and what is on hand). It works great as a leftover, reheating in the microwave well.

I learned this one from a GEN-uine Thai woman... it's an authentic working man's dinner.... and it tatses great! But you MUST have the fish sauce! (available at asian markets and on-line- just don't put it in the fridge... it will crystalize)

Oh, and if you don't have a wok, a good thick bottom pan works well, but if you don't have a wok, get one! I just bought a carbon steel 14" wok on line for less than 30 bucks, preseasoned, and it works great. Most asian dishes require high heat, and a wok is almost a must.

There are a couple major things that are going to make it very, very hard to make your fried rice as good as a restaurants. One is the fact that they have a big wok with a high powered burner. The other is that they're not remotely bashful about how much oil they use.

When replicating it at home, I use a large non-stick, flat bottomed wok and my highest BTU burner (which still isn't much compared to the restaurant). I stir-fry whatever veggies I'm using in small batches. If you put too much in the pan, it cools off and you end up just stewing them. They need to make a lot of noise when they cook. As each is cooked with just a touch of brown, I remove them to a bowl. When the last batch of veggies are done, I add the rice and do the same. You might need to add a bit more oil at this point because the rice really wants to stick. Then I remove the rice and veggies to the same bowl and mix.

Then I add a few beaten eggs to the pan (depending on how much rice I'm making), cook them about half way done, add a bit of soy, and then return all the rice and veggies. I like to stir chili-garlic sauce into my rice at the table.

IMO, there's no "sauce" in fried rice. It's all about texture and the only way I've found you can achieve the right texture at home is to go through that method. Otherwise, you end up with rice and vegetable porridge (which isn't actually all that bad, but not fried rice).

Oh, and the rice does need to be day old.

You just need to break it up with a fork.

Cool. I'll give it a try. I use a cast iron wok. If I let it pre-heat over high gas for a good 10 minutes it gets pretty rippin' hot. Nothing like the wok at my local take-out, but it does get noisy.

Cool. I'll give it a try. I use a cast iron wok. If I let it pre-heat over high gas for a good 10 minutes it gets pretty rippin' hot. Nothing like the wok at my local take-out, but it does get noisy.

Well, the cast iron wok is a good start because it retains heat. See, that's the problem, not getting the wok hot to begin with because you can always get the mother good and hot, it's keeping it hot throughout the cooking. That's where the low btu's of a home range fail you.

A heavy pan like what I'm assuming you are describing will hold on to more heat that a light one and that will help. But, none the less, that's the rub and why you need to cook everything in small batches.

The flames on the computer are pretty sweet!

Yeah, I souped up the RAM on my computer and added a 500 GB external drive. I was joking with a friend over e-mail that the only thing missing was some ass-kicking flames and remembered that I never touched the decal pack that came with my Guitar Hero setup. . .voila!

ETA: Holy crap, I'm hijacking my own thread!

Edited by SheikYerbuti