[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Memphis Q

SheikYerbuti

I'm heading to Memphis in a few weeks. Haven't been there in 6 years. I'm looking forward to some of the best BBQ in the world. Last time I was there I ate at Rendezvous, Corky's and Interstate. This year I've penciled in:

Cozy Corner

Payne's

Central BBQ

Germantown Commisary

Memphisites, any thoughts? Standout places I should be going? Warnings about the places listed above?

Obviously, I'll do a trip report when I get back.

I ate at Corky's between Christmas and New Years when I was up in that area, and I have to say I wasn't impressed at all.

I agree. Plus they opened a Corky's at the Tropicana in Atlantic City, so I can eat their ribs whenever I want, which is not often since I don't think they're very good anyway.

Reading through my BBQ book, they list Leonards as a place to stop. I dunno though, could be touristy as there's an Elvis connection.

:DSorry - happens a lot - I read too fast and miss too much. I read Memphis + BBQ and came up with Interstate.

Last time I was in Memphis 6 years ago (Tunica, actually), it was my first day there and I went to the Wal-Mart to buy toothpaste or something that I'd forgotten to pack. I was checking out and asked the cashier "I'd like to get some good BBQ. Can you tell me where to go?" She told me to go to Interstate and told me how to get there. I thanked her and as I was walking away she said "Make sho you Drydemdibs!"

:wacko:

The whole drive there I was trying to translate "Drydemdibs" into English. When I got to Interstate I saw the sign claiming they had the best rib tips in Tennessee. Then I got it. . ."Make sure you TRY THEM TIPS". I got the tips, and they were damn good.

• 2 weeks later...
Then you're about oh 500-600 miles ish too far west. NC 'Q :wacko:

Not sure I'm a hugh fan of the vinegar based sauces that are the hallmark of Carolina Q. I like em, I'm just not sure it's the best way to go.

I'm a dry rub guy, myself. Hm. . .this would make a good poll.

Not sure I'm a hugh fan of the vinegar based sauces that are the hallmark of Carolina Q. I like em, I'm just not sure it's the best way to go.

I'm a dry rub guy, myself. Hm. . .this would make a good poll.

There are four distinct regions of BBQ in the Carolinas and it's akin to a religious war to order the wrong sauce in the wrong place. Not all are vinegar based.This web site shows the general regions in South Carolina and explains how they extend up into North Carolina.