[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Plantains

tonyr0802

Does anyone have a good way/recipe to cook these? I'd be interested in recipes using them as part of a meal as well as in a desert.

We go through about 2-3 cases of plantains per week. One thing to keep in mind is that there are green plantains and yellow plantains and they are not the same thing. Green ones will not turn yellow. We primarily use yellow ones. The other thing is that they're not really much of a dessert fruit. They're barely sweet and quite starchy so you'd be better off just using bananas for desserts.

The simplest thing to do is to just slice them and brown them in a non-stick pan, season them and serve them with black beans and some grilled or roasted meat. Our primary use is to boil them, mash them, mix them with a bit of flour and eggs into a thick paste, form them around some diced jalapenos and cheese into fritters and fry them. Then we serve them with pico de gallo and Oaxacan cream. It is, without question, our best selling appetizer.

Does anyone have a good way/recipe to cook these? I'd be interested in recipes using them as part of a meal as well as in a desert.

busy at work at the moment, but know of a few ways to play with them. never used tham a focal point of a dish, just accompaniment sides etc.

We go through about 2-3 cases of plantains per week. One thing to keep in mind is that there are green plantains and yellow plantains and they are not the same thing. Green ones will not turn yellow. We primarily use yellow ones. The other thing is that they're not really much of a dessert fruit. They're barely sweet and quite starchy so you'd be better off just using bananas for desserts.

The simplest thing to do is to just slice them and brown them in a non-stick pan, season them and serve them with black beans and some grilled or roasted meat. Our primary use is to boil them, mash them, mix them with a bit of flour and eggs into a thick paste, form them around some diced jalapenos and cheese into fritters and fry them. Then we serve them with pico de gallo and Oaxacan cream. It is, without question, our best selling appetizer.

Hmm . . sounds pretty damn good.

My chef will slice them thin, fry them, and then toss them in sugar and cinnamon for a kind of "dessert chip" he serves with sundaes.

Don't know how to prepare them but I sure ate enough of them when I was a kid. I basically remember having them 3 different ways:

a. sliced and deep fried, the plantain was sweet tasting

b. sliced, deep fried and then flattened out by pressing down on it with a paper sandwich bag (old school), the plantain was not sweet tasting so I imagine a greener plantain was used. Salt would then be sprinkled on top.

c. Boiled and then mashed like potatoes, sometimes sweets plantains were used sometimes green. When green ones were used olive oil was mixed into the mashed plantains.

Hey, maybe I do know how to prepare these things afterall.

I cut them in two inch chunks and deep fry them until they turn brown.

I take them out, let them cool, and then smash them with a drinking glass, before frying them a second time.

Like this: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Puerto-Rican-...ins/Detail.aspx

mmmmmm

Ah yes, they do need to be fried a second time. I forgot about that.