[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Moss is UNBELIEVABLE!

Asskickas

No, Revis gets the hype because he shut down all but 1 star receiver last year.

Haven't seen that much of Asomugha, but did he shut down every single WR he went up against? If so, I haven't heard that.

Revis is hyped because he plays for a coach that can't keep his mouth shut, against a WR twice a year that can't keep his mouth shut, and for a team that demands the spotlight be placed on them. I'm not saying he isn't good - because he is extremely good. But I don't see the other position's best players getting the same hype.

Very few people hear anything out of Oakland - because there isn't often a lot to hear.

Were you playing fantasy football before last season? When Asomugha was making wide receivers disappear entirely from stat sheets? Asomugh has been doing it a lot longer than Revis, who has just recently gained media attention this past season. If you really want some more proof - search the Huddle for Asomugha, and all you'll get is "Where's [insert stud WR here]?!?!?!" threads.

The fact of the matter is though, despite what Peyton or myself think of Nnamdi, there is no statistical way of proving it to you. Especially when they play in different systems; Revis plays exclusively over the WR1, and has a great defensive line that forces the QB to throw quickly while Nnamdi blankets the left side of the field regardless of who is there, and is in coverage significantly longer because of the Raiders' crap pressure.

One thing is indisputable however, and that is that quarterbacks respect Nnamdi more than any other corner in the game. Asomugha has been the least targeted starting corner in the NFL the past four seasons, and a few sources I've read (can't find link) say the least targeted CB in the past decade.

2009 - 27 targets

2008 - 27 targets: Only Moss (3/40) and Gonzalez (2/34) caught more than one pass against him. He shut down Marshall twice, Steve Smith, and Andre Johnson.

2007 - 31 targets

In 2009 Revis was targeted 110 times.

I understand statistics are often times misleading and there are tons of other variables to consider - that QBs are obviously going to try and mismatch and throw to their WR1 on the other side of the field, that teams won't pass as much against Oakland because they're running the clock out, etc... but regardless, those numbers are impressive.

From a 2009 article on Nnamdi: "Peyton said to his dad, 'I want you to meet Nnamdi, the absolute best shutdown corner in the league. If you don't believe me, go watch our 2007 game against him,' " Asomugha recalls. "Peyton threw at me twice. And Reggie Wayne made his catch against me with one hand.

And on a more thread-related note - when Moss was in Oakland, he took Asomugha under his wing and worked with him almost daily - showing him the finer points of covering receivers, and teaching him how to be a shut down corner. Nnamdi has attributed much of his success at corner to Moss, and they love facing each other.

Edited by kpholmes

Aso until this year remained on one side, and did not follow the opposing team's best WR as Revis does. Teams will try to throw the their best WR no matter who is in coverage. It is easier to avoid throwing at Aso that way, just move the best WR away from him. Revis gets credit because he is that good. Don't use Ryan as an excuse, that's just silly. Which is the better CB? Whichever one you like, they are both extremely good, and there is no right answer.

BTW, Revis DID get owned by Moss, but not on the TD. That was a great throw and an amazing catch, nearly impossible to defend without a PI call. Revis got owned by Moss on the Pat's first possession. Revis had deep help from the safety, and pulled up instead of testing the hamstring. Moss beat the safety, but bobbled the ball out of the end zone. Revis was pulling up right from the first snap. Without his incredible burst, speed and ability to change direction, Revis can be beaten pretty easilly. That is his whole game. I even saw him letting up on running plays. Esiason noted several times how he saw Revis in warmups babying the hammy. He should have been held out of the game.

I hope they make him sit out the Miami and Buffalo games so he can get healthy. Ryan said on the radio that it would be up to Revis if the doctors clear him. I think that would be a mistake. Reis with a bad hamstring is a detriment to the Jets' defense.