[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Where do you rank Westbrook, gerhart , a dixon

ttwarrior4

Put in a hugh bid for Westy, didn't get him, put in a much lower bid for Dixon, got him. So, with Westy already dinged, this might work out for me no thanks to my insight. :wacko:

Same here. You rolling out Dixon against the Pack?? I am.

Here is an interesting article from the Sacramento Bee:

SANTA CLARA – If Brian Westbrook is the reserved and responsible father figure of the 49ers running back corps, Anthony Dixon is the kid who's hopped up on SweeTarts.

The sixth-round draft pick is perhaps the most exuberant, fun-loving and gregarious player in the team's locker room. He runs like he's on a sugar high, too.

In the exhibition opener in Indianapolis, he took a handoff at the Colts 5-yard line, broke an arm tackle by a defensive lineman, stiff-armed a safety to the ground and outran a cornerback to the corner of the end zone.

A few weeks later against San Diego, he broke through the middle of the Chargers' line, cut inside to avoid one defender, juked again to make another miss and then sped past everyone else for a 46-yard touchdown.

Dixon finished the preseason as the league's top rusher. But it was a summer performance that left the 49ers' coaching staff equally exhilarated and exasperated.

On the one hand, they had a big-bodied back with the elusiveness of a smaller runner. But Dixon also had a habit of trying to break big runs when the smartest decision was to plow ahead and use his mass to pick up a gritty yard or two.

Coach Mike Singletary said Wednesday that he wants 233-pound Dixon and 203-pound Westbrook, who both will be used to replace injured Frank Gore, to be a "thunder and lightning" combination, not lightning and lightning.

"He's going to be thunder," Singletary said of Dixon. "I think what we want him to do is be a little more disciplined toward hitting the hole and hitting it now. And if it's not there, trying to make one there. I just think he's still learning what his style is going to be, but I'm very excited about the possibilities there."

Singletary and running backs coach Tom Rathman are trying to wean Dixon off his college running style. Mississippi State used a spread offense that put Dixon in space where he could outmaneuver smaller and often slower defenders. The 49ers' offense is built on relentlessness and overwhelming opponents with power.

Said Westbrook, a nine-year veteran: "He has to learn that in this league no one is fast enough to make guys miss the way he's doing it as far as dancing and things like that. He has to, especially with his size, play more downhill football. If he does, then he'll be all right."

Dixon conceded that he tended to "freelance a bit" and that he needed to be more disciplined when he runs.

"Coach kinda tells me to tone it down a little bit, you know," Dixon said with a big smile. "I get so excited. I want to do so good and show a lot of doubters that I have gotten better as a football player. I just get kind of excited, but I'm getting better with that."

Still, every so often he reminds his coaches that he can do more than pound the ball straight ahead.

"Coach (Singletary) wants me to be power, you know," Dixon said. "I tell him all the time, 'I'm power, coach, but I dance well. I've got good hips, coach. I've got good feet, too.'

"I know what he wants me to do, and I'm going to be there for the team."

Gore, who was placed on injured reserve Tuesday, will miss the rest of the season. But Singletary said Wednesday he will not need surgery on his fractured hip, a sign that Gore will be able to make a relatively quick recovery and be ready for 2011.

"So that's a wonderful thing," Singletary said.

© Copyright The Sacramento Bee. All rights reserved.

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2010/12/02/3226544/d...l#ixzz16zMptmxi

I think Dixon is more of a Gore clone than Westbrook is. I wouldn't be surprised if Dixon is used as the main back with Westy as the 3rd down/catching back. Dixon with goaline carries.

What we saw in Ari was put together on the fly against a terrible defense.

I understand your point but "on the fly" is an overstatement.