[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Peyton must be paid 28 million...or must be cut?

LooGie

If this is a thread floating around, i apologize. the most recent peyton thread is about his not being given a physical before a new contract.

anyways, i hear that the colts must pay Peyton 28 million before the start of next season, and since trades can't occur before the start of a season, he must either be paid, or cut?

Of course I'm sure that he can choose to rework his contract to help them out if he chooses, but otherwise, he would have to be cut, wouldn't he?

That's..incredible. I thought he just got a new contract and there was no big lump sums due for another few years. Any insight on this?

Manning, Peyton Contract details:

7/30/2011: Signed five-year, $90 million contract

2011: $3.4 million (+ $3 million roster bonus)(+$20 million signing bonus)

2012: $7.4 million, (+$28 million option bonus in March)

2013: $8.4 million,

2014: $9.4 million,

2015: $10.4 million,

2016: Free Agent

So, to carry Manning next year it would cost IND a $20.0M cap hit (salary plus prorated parts of signing, roster, and option bonuses)

If they cut Manning, they would save the $7.4M plus the $28M bonus, but the remaining $2.4M roster bonus and $16M on the signing bonus would accelerate against the 2012 cap

Because the option bonus is due before the official start of the 2012 NFL year, they can not cut Manning after the start of the year and split the $16M over 2 years, like a lot of teams do with vets, without absorbing the $28M option bonus

So IND has essentially one choice - keep Manning and absorb his $20.0M cap hit. Cutting him before the the March deadline would cost them $18.4M in the accelerated roster and signing bonus without him playing a down and becoming a FA, and cutting him after July 1st would cost them $46.4M divided over the 2012 and 2013 seasons without him playing a down and becoming a FA. Either way, keeping him is cheaper unless they determine before the end of March that he absolutely can't play - in which case they could cut him and save $1.6M against the cap.

Pretty poor decision on the contract by IND for an aging QB (36 yrs old at the start of next season) like Manning, IMO. At a minimum, they should have extended the option bonus to March 2013 or at least divided it between multiple years.

Edited by Bronco Billy

BTW, if the $3M roster bonus went only against the 2011 cap - which is entirely possible, the numbers would be a $19.4M cap hit to keep him playing next season, or $16M to cut him before the end of March next season, or $44M between 2012 and 2013 to keep him and then cut him after July 1st.

Manning, Peyton Contract details:

7/30/2011: Signed five-year, $90 million contract

2011: $3.4 million (+ $3 million roster bonus)(+$20 million signing bonus)

2012: $7.4 million, (+$28 million option bonus in March)

2013: $8.4 million,

2014: $9.4 million,

2015: $10.4 million,

2016: Free Agent

So, to carry Manning next year it would cost IND a $20.0M cap hit (salary plus prorated parts of signing, roster, and option bonuses)

If they cut Manning, they would save the $7.4M plus the $28M bonus, but the remaining $2.4M roster bonus and $16M on the signing bonus would accelerate against the 2012 cap

Because the option bonus is due before the official start of the 2012 NFL year, they can not cut Manning after the start of the year and split the $16M over 2 years, like a lot of teams do with vets, without absorbing the $28M option bonus

So IND has essentially one choice - keep Manning and absorb his $20.0M cap hit. Cutting him before the the March deadline would cost them $18.4M in the accelerated roster and signing bonus without him playing a down and becoming a FA, and cutting him after July 1st would cost them $46.4M divided over the 2012 and 2013 seasons without him playing a down and becoming a FA. Either way, keeping him is cheaper unless they determine before the end of March that he absolutely can't play - in which case they could cut him and save $1.6M against the cap.

Pretty poor decision on the contract by IND for an aging QB (36 yrs old at the start of next season) like Manning, IMO. At a minimum, they should have extended the option bonus to March 2013 or at least divided it between multiple years.

I believe this year only because of the new CBA teams had the choice of allocating all of the signing bonus against this year's cap. I had understood that's what the Colts did so the balance of the $20M signing bonus would not be accelerated into 2012.

I believe this year only because of the new CBA teams had the choice of allocating all of the signing bonus against this year's cap. I had understood that's what the Colts did so the balance of the $20M signing bonus would not be accelerated into 2012.

I hadn't seen that, CR, and I'm not aware whether that is or is not the case. Do you have a link of some kind on that?