[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Early sleepers for 2012

Crazysight

Calling a few sleepers early on here for next season that I've picked up recently. My most recent pickup was today of Matt Willis. If Manning is back to full strength (I feel that's a big if) by the start of the season all of the Broncos receivers obviously stand to benefit. Willis was raw coming out of college but has great speed. With Eddie Royal departed to San Diego that may open a big opportunity for Willis, and he's they type of little known receiver that Manning has been known to do great things for (see Austin Collie and Pierre Garcon).

I also picked up David Gettis about a week ago. He missed all of last year with an ACL tear in the preseason. He's 6'3 with 4.4 40 speed. Gettis showed definite flashes the prior year and looked to contend for the number 1 receiver job prior to his injury, and then with cam newton's arrival steve smith turned everything around and ran away with the number 1 spot. We saw what a difference Cam made for Smith last year though, and Smith is getting long in the tooth at this point in his career. It may not be long before Gettis gets his chance to be Cam's top target in that offense, and he will definitely get chances to contribute this year after having a full year to rehab from his injury.

Marcel Reese is another name I like. He was a pro bowl fullback last year for the Raiders.. With Michael Bush all but gone via free agency that should open a huge hole behind the oft injured Darren McFadden. And although he's a fullback, he has excelled as both a runner and a receiver in limited action the past two years. His stats last year: 112 yards rushing off of 17 carries, 289 yards receiving off 27 receptions with 2 touchdowns. In 2010 he had 122 yards rushing off of 30 carries with a TD and 333 yards receiving off 25 receptions with 3 receiving TDs. At 240 pounds his 40 yard dash is clocked in the 4.4 range, He will however still have to compete with the speedy but diminutive taiwan jones behind McFadden.

And now that Manning has signed with Denver, I'm touting Jake Locker as a fantasy breakout candidate at QB for next year (and in dynasty leagues, years to come). With Britt coming back, the emergence of Jared Cook at TE (who is absolutely an athletic FREAK by the way), the emergence of nate washington as a 1000 yard receiver and damian williams showing promise last year, along with locker's running ability (which is always a great thing for fantasy stats), Locker could be poised for a huge year in 2012. This is all contingent, of course, on him beating out Matt Hasselbeck in the first place. But unless Jake truly stumbles in the preseason I have to think the Titans will be prepared to hand the reins over to their top pick selection from a year ago in 2012.

Edited by Crazysight

Calling a few sleepers early on here for next season that I've picked up recently. My most recent pickup was today of Matt Willis. If Manning is back to full strength (I feel that's a big if) by the start of the season all of the Broncos receivers obviously stand to benefit. Willis was raw coming out of college but has great speed. With Eddie Royal departed to San Diego that may open a big opportunity for Willis, and he's they type of little known receiver that Manning has been known to do great things for (see Austin Collie and Pierre Garcon).

That's a deep sleeper there. I would think the Collie/Garcon-esque name would have to be Eric Decker.

And now that Manning has signed with Denver, I'm touting Jake Locker as a fantasy breakout candidate at QB for next year (and in dynasty leagues, years to come). With Britt coming back, the emergence of Jared Cook at TE (who is absolutely athletic FREAK by the way), the emergence of nate washington as a 1000 yard receiver and damian williams showing promise last year, along with locker's running ability (which is always a great thing for fantasy stats), he could be poised for a huge year in 2012. This is all contingent, of course, on him beating out Matt Hasselbeck. But unless Jake truly stumbles in the preseason I have to think the Titans will be prepared to hand the reins over to their top pick selection from a year ago in 2012.

I'm not sold on locker as a fantasy breakout candidate. I'll wait and see where players go and end up to make a final list, but that's not exactly a ringing endorsement for a guy when the owner demands the team go out and get someone else.

I'm not sold on locker as a fantasy breakout candidate. I'll wait and see where players go and end up to make a final list, but that's not exactly a ringing endorsement for a guy when the owner demands the team go out and get someone else.

completely irrelevant. I doubt Bud Adams even know who Jake locker is, or what year it is for that matter.