[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Need Some Draft Advice

How's everyone doing?

So, I have my draft in a couple weeks but I don't know which strategy to use. I have the number two pick. My league is 0.5 PPR and 0.5 PPC (For the QB). I believe the number one guy will take Charles. So now I'm stuck. I'm thinking McCoy, Calvin or Peyton. The rosters are standard with one WR/RB flex. I'm torn because I think people might go QB early but I just don't know. McCoy seems awfully speaking but he's gonna lose receptions to Sproles. I'm not even considering Forte (Never really liked him). Calvin can also help me dominate the receiver position. What do you guys think?

Well with the PPC that definitely makes QBs score more but it also just raises the overall points for QBs so don't put TOO much emphasis on it.

It will be hard to pass on someone like AP or McCoy and even in my opinion Forte and Lacy. If you were in the 4-7 slot then I would look at Peyton, Calvin and even Jimmy.

But in the 2nd pick I dont think you can pass on the top RBs even in this format. If Charles is there at 2 Definitely get him!

Well with the PPC that definitely makes QBs score more but it also just raises the overall points for QBs so don't put TOO much emphasis on it.

It will be hard to pass on someone like AP or McCoy and even in my opinion Forte and Lacy. If you were in the 4-7 slot then I would look at Peyton, Calvin and even Jimmy.

But in the 2nd pick I dont think you can pass on the top RBs even in this format. If Charles is there at 2 Definitely get him!

Yeah agree with at totally, at #2 youre still going RB all the way. A very good QB in a passing offence becomes highly rated over guys in run first teams but that should mainly affect your QB rankings at the top end more than overall rankings.

Gotta go McCoy, AD, or Forte. QB value goes up for everyone like bwebs said and let all those other guys take QB early & you load up on RB/WR and maybe a top 3 TE (pending good news on Gronk) then get QB later. That's my strategy unless it's a 2 QB league... Good Luck!

That's not completely true. The effect of PPC is very different than PPR, in large part due to volume - with PPR, you are looking at maybe a difference of 30 or so catches from the elite WRs to the #20-25 WR, and an even lesser range of scoring between even the 8-10 WR and the #30 or so WR. At 0.5 PPR as this league is, that is less than a 1PPG adjustment in value compared to non-PPR.

In PPC, you are looking at an 80-100 completion difference between the top tier guys and the #10-12 guys, a difference of about 3 PPG, a much more significant change, and also a hugh change in the volume of QB scoring.

SO, to the OP, over the last few years, in general how many points did the top QBs score compared to the #8-10 QB and how many points did the top 2-3 RBs score compared to the #16-20ish RBs. You need to take a look at that range of scoring difference to try and determine where the value lies. In most leagues that incorporate a PPC component, QB scoring grows to be such a high amount that essentially games come down to whether or not your QB had a good game, as they can essentially be 40-50% of your score in any given week. Nail down a top QB, and you have an advantage that can't be overcome even if you whiff on your next 2-3 picks.

I think its basically this simple,Mccoy and Charles are basically the same value. So if you think Charles is worth the first overall pick then Mccoy is definitely the second. PPC can change things, sure, but you could easily draft a QB who makes up for that by rushing yards/tds. So you have options like Kaepernic, Russell, RGIII, or possibly even Luck or Newton.

I think its basically this simple,Mccoy and Charles are basically the same value. So if you think Charles is worth the first overall pick then Mccoy is definitely the second. PPC can change things, sure, but you could easily draft a QB who makes up for that by rushing yards/tds. So you have options like Kaepernic, Russell, RGIII, or possibly even Luck or Newton.

But then if you say that the rushing makes up for the completion points, what makes up for the major difference in passing yards/TDs now? Generally speaking, the rushing QBs are not elite passing QBs, but they hold their value against the Mannings and Brees of the league with their rushing. When you add in completion points, you tip the scales in a pretty big way back to the elite passing QBs in terms of QB value.

But then if you say that the rushing makes up for the completion points, what makes up for the major difference in passing yards/TDs now? Generally speaking, the rushing QBs are not elite passing QBs, but they hold their value against the Mannings and Brees of the league with their rushing. When you add in completion points, you tip the scales in a pretty big way back to the elite passing QBs in terms of QB value.

Hmmm, I made a mistake/wrong assumption. I was thinking you would also lose points for incompletions. I guess my opinion then is it depends on how many teams are in your league and how you draft. If its a basic snake draft with 12 teams Then you should still take a RB because as the draft snakes back to you my guess is other players are going to draft RBs if you picked manning or brees. Thus you'll have less choices for RBs. If you take a RB then as the draft snakes back to you, you can look at what's available and have more options of what will be round 2nd pick and as your third pick comes soon after you pick up what you need. So through this you get one of the top 2 RBs and then probably a top 10 WR and then if you draft a QB you'll probably get a top 8 QB, but if you wait you'll still get a decent QB, though I realize the drop off in points is much more after Manning/Brees/Rodgers. If your draft is snake, 10 rounds then I'd go manning or brees as the competition for good RBs won't be as high.

Hey Guys,

In response, it is 12 teams. .5 ppr and .5 ppc. With that same scoring, here were the top two scorers in qb, rb and wr and their points:

Peyton Manning 706.98

Drew Brees 594.68

Jamaal Charles 347.50

Lesean McCoy 328.10

Calvin Johnson 286.20

Demaryius Thomas 292.00

Any opinions now?

What were the scores of the #10 guy at each position and the #20 RB and WR?

From what you posted here, it appears this is a case where QB scoring is so high, that as your QB goes, so goes your team, In that situation, I am making sure I have the best QB I can. Whomever you rank as your top rated QB, take them first.

What were the scores of the #10 guy at each position and the #20 RB and WR?

From what you posted here, it appears this is a case where QB scoring is so high, that as your QB goes, so goes your team, In that situation, I am making sure I have the best QB I can. Whomever you rank as your top rated QB, take them first.

The number 10 QB is somewhere around 350 pts and the number 20 RB is around 140 pts and the number 20 WR is around 175.

I'm thinking Peyton is my best bet.

The number 10 QB is somewhere around 350 pts and the number 20 RB is around 140 pts and the number 20 WR is around 175.

I'm thinking Peyton is my best bet.

Top QB is best bet for the pick.

Even if Peyton returns to earth, let's say that he and Brees have seasons similar to Brees last year and score around 600 points. If you wait on QB and take one of the backend starters, you are looking a a drop of about 250 points over the course of the season.

You definitely aren;t going WR, as that difference in scoring at QB is what the top WRS will just score in a season, much less outscore a WR you draft later.

At RB, you are looking at a possible 200 point drop if you could have nailed the top scoring RB and don't take any RBs until the very end of the starting tier (ie, you load up on WR instead or something).

With QB being much more predictable than RB, and also providing the largest and quickest drop off in scoring, I don;t even think there is any room for debate that you go with a QB with your first pick, probably target RBs with your next few picks and then fill in WR - the scoring system just seems to dictate that as the most likely route to take. I would even consider taking another QB fairly early (especially if anyone seems to be waiting on QB) as a very valuable piece of insurance.

• Like 1