[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

How bout them Av's!

Bier Meister

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

redwings.cup:

Sharks look great.  Nabby played well and Marleau continues to impress.   Roy's confidence has to be a bit shaken, especially with the soft goal he gave up at an important time to Marleau.   The big thing here is the Sharks stole the home ice advantage.  Huge.

That's the thing that makes Roy the best playoff goalie ever, his confidence never gets shaken even after a bad game.

Bier Meister:

So how exactly did Colorado work it to get 2 days off between home games?

Actually it was Alan Jackson's fault the series started so quickly. The series was slated to start tonight- but because of a concert the Sharks caught a break. Game 2 was going to be Saturday for TV either way.

Guest Azazello13
chiefs:

I'm not concerned yet- with no Blake, Roy taking the night off, and the short break between series.  If we lose game 2, a few alarms will go off. GB the extended break till game 2. This won't be a series where home-ice means much- at least not in the first 6 games. The Sharks defintely looked a lot hungrier in game 1.

i don't even think they looked "hungrier" so much as they were just sharper. especially in the first period, when the avs were a little loose in their own zone. the guys fought pretty hard to get it back to 3-2, before roy let in another softie (and MAN was that a softie!).

is blake going to be back right away? i haven't heard anything. that is one guy we might not be able to win without..

Guest Azazello13
redwings.cup:

Sharks look great.  Nabby played well and Marleau continues to impress.   Roy's confidence has to be a bit shaken, especially with the soft goal he gave up at an important time to Marleau.  

you're kidding, right? maybe you haven't noticed what roy usually does the next game after a sub-par playoff outing. "confidence shaken", HA! we're talking about patrick roy here...

Azazello13:

is blake going to be back right away?  i haven't heard anything.  that is one guy we might not be able to win without..

I don't think there is anyway you win the series without Blake, let alone the Cup. With him and Foote loging close to 30 min. a game you had one of the best duos in the league, and Kasper has actually been playing fairly smart so far so that was a great combination. With Blake out you've got Foote and Kasper as you're top guys and I don't think that will cut it against the Sharks, Wings, or St. Louis.

Guest Azazello13
Foosball God:

Azazello13:

is blake going to be back right away?  i haven't heard anything.  that is one guy we might not be able to win without..

I don't think there is anyway you win the series without Blake, let alone the Cup. With him and Foote loging close to 30 min. a game you had one of the best duos in the league, and Kasper has actually been playing fairly smart so far so that was a great combination. With Blake out you've got Foote and Kasper as you're top guys and I don't think that will cut it against the Sharks, Wings, or St. Louis.it's not the defense i worry about quite as much as the f'n power play. between foote, kaspar, devries and skoula, you're going to still be pretty solid in your own end. blake would obviously be missed sorely, but you could almost live without him there. but they absolutely NEED his shot to make the PP go.

i'm sure it's just that f'n knee of his acting up again, and he'll probably be back in the lineup sooner rather than later. but it's still scary having that question mark.

redwings.cup:

The big thing here is the Sharks stole the home ice advantage.  Huge.

Overstatement of the year. So far, Western Conference teams are .500 in the playoffs at home. Last time the Avs-Sharks played a series, the road team won 5 of 6. I'd say it's virtually meaningless.

chiefs:

redwings.cup:

The big thing here is the Sharks stole the home ice advantage.  Huge.

Overstatement of the year. So far, Western Conference teams are .500 in the playoffs at home. Last time the Avs-Sharks played a series, the road team won 5 of 6. I'd say it's virtually meaningless.The visiting team has won every game between these two teams this year. I am not sure it will be meaningless when it actually gets back to SJ. I don't think the Av's will be able to match the shark's depth. Nab made some nice saves, but 2 of the 3 should not have gotten by him last night. I'd be worried about their PP too. Will they get as many call and non calls away from home?

Also- I think it would have been better to start it a day or so later and only have one day off.

Guest Azazello13
Bier Meister:

It is inevitable that the home team will get more calls, hence more powerplays.

It's nice to be back home    :D  

but that was taking it to a bit of an extreme, wasn't it? 7 PPs (two 5-on-3's) to ONE?! most of those calls on the avs WERE penalties, but how the H-E-L-L do they only call ONE on san jose?! :mad:

I was feeling the same way when it was in Den. Col scores then gets another power play back to back. Like you, was not denying penalties, just wondering how the calls could be unbalanced.

In the first two games I felt I needed to hold my tongue (cause that is what happens on home ice). I saw a lot of no calls that could have made a difference in the in both games. I was waiting to see how it would go in SJ.

I think nolan nailed a PP goal with Thorton in front of the net. Thorton got mangled while screening roy- don't know why that didn't get a call.

I understand that they call em as they see em. As fans we all get frustrated by the missed calls when one team is actually getting them. Reminds me of football to a lesser degree- on every play there will be a penalty. Will they see it and will they call it?

Some of the calls were good- some were horrible- but I knew things were going too far when Dan Marouelli was announced the second star in SJ last night. wink Two 5 on 3's in the third on marginal calls...

To be fair, Avs got a break on the disallowed goal with the quick whistle on the high stick goal.

Well, it was an incredibly entertaining game though...

Guys,

Until the last game the Av's have not been at a disadvantage in penalties called:

COL/LA: 23/31

Game1: 2/2

Game2: 2/2

Game3: 4/7

Game4: 2/3

Game5: 3/4

Game6: 5/8

Game7: 5/5

COL/SJ: 13/16

Game1: 3/7

Game2: 3/7

Game3: 7/2

The cup has it's privileges.

Guest Azazello13
Bier Meister:

Guys,

Until the last game the Av's have not been at a disadvantage in penalties called:

COL/LA:  23/31

Game1: 2/2

Game2: 2/2

Game3: 4/7

Game4: 2/3

Game5: 3/4

Game6: 5/8

Game7: 5/5

COL/SJ:  13/16

Game1: 3/7

Game2: 3/7

Game3: 7/2

The cup has it's privileges.

you've got to realize that some teams don't take as many penalties as others. being disciplined has been a halmark of the avs system since hartley has been the coach, especially in the playoffs.

but when you see a team that plays as close to the edge as san jose get called for ONE penalty all game, while the other team gets called for 7, including 5 in the 3rd period for 2 5-on-3s, you've got to scratch your head a little.

a couple minutes ago owen nolan broke his stick over kasparaitis' arm with a slash away from the puck. and san jose still doesn't have a penalty tonight. have the sharks mastered the jedi mind trick or something :confused:

Guest Azazello13
Bier Meister:

You crack me up.  You miss the non-calls by the av's. You don't think being the current champ has anything to do with this?

not much. they weren't the champs last year or the year before, and they didn't take many penalties then either. that's just hartley's system. even kaspar isn't flying around as much as usual since he's been here. so when you look at the kings series, for instance, and you see a penalty disparity (especially when a major component of the kings' game plan was to try and BULLY peter forsberg), that doesn't really imply any kind of officiating favortism.

but even in that series you never saw anything like penalties being 5-0 for one team with 2 5-on-3's in the third period of a close playoff game. that's just unheard of.

I really don't know how you can deny that in professional sports there is favortism towards the leagues' better teams and players. We see it all the time. Additionally, there tends to be a decent discrepancy in penalties called at home arenas/stadiums. I tend to accept this- though I wish it was more balanced and just. I am not crying for my Sharks here, this is what I've seen in general.

Yes, teams practice different levels of discipline and agression. You have presented it as if the Av's sh it doesn't stink. The 7-3 discrepancy in game 2 clearly made a difference inthe outcome as well.

Guest Azazello13
Bier Meister:

The 7-3 discrepancy in game 2 clearly made a difference in the outcome as well.

lol

what, you're bummed the sharks lost 8-2 instead of 6-2?

It was a 1-0 game after 1 period. Sharks committed a penalty before the the 1st intermission. Av's scored early in the 2nd on a 4 on 4 (av's had a penalty just after the puck was dropped). 5 of the first 21 min of the game sharks were down a man. Av's picked up a PP goal later in the period too. While a horrible game for the sharks (and a good one for the Av's) the penalties took them out of it imo. Despite there being high scoring teams left: det, col, sj- this is still hockey and not no-defense basketball. Not so easy to come back.

Edit: My point is less to biatch about the calls, but rather to illustrate that a lack of balance exists on home ice- as much as I don't like it.

What's a real laugher, is Forsberg takes a year off and now leads the playoffs in points without playing even 1 game beforehand, including sitting out a game due to a mysterious injury.

After seeing Lemieux take 2 years off, then jump right back in, it didn't surprise me at all- but I was surprised how many people thought he would not have an on-ice impact.

Well, I really like Forsberg (except for his looking to the ref every time he is touched) and am glad he was able to come back at this level. He's an amazing player and I hope he stays healthy- he is great for the league!